We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

Hi All

We (being me, wife and 18 month old munchkin) are looking at visiting in August for a week and currently planning on booking a studio apartment at Paradise Club in Cala'n Bosch. Originally looked at Santo Tomas but decided against it as I thought it would be too small.

My only concern is with it being the other side of the island would we be better staying somewhere on the Mahon side? We'll probably hire a car so we can get out a bit just wanted a bit of advice as I don't really know much about Minorca. Looking at self catering as any AI or HB meal times I've seen won't fit with little one's timings.

The whole "Brits abroad" thing is our worst nightmare, hence we're not looking at somewhere like Cala'n Forcat so please bear that in mind if there are any suggestions.

Thanks...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

You asked this before

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g658911-i11536-k…

So, you are wavering?

It's never easy without 'offending' ...

There is NOTHING like Torremolinos,Benidormesque places anywhere on menorca, just greater concentrations of bars/restaurants that cater towards a non native taste shall we say

IMO the brits abroad thing tends to be driven by UK tour operators and 'cheap holidays' ( Nowhere in europe has such cheap holidays abroad as the UK!-cheaper to go abroad than stay in UK! ) so you will get a more mixed environment where this happens. This happens in Arenal den Castell,Cala en Forcat and Cala en Bosch ( been going to Menorca well over 20 years now - before Cala en Bosch existed!)

To be honest the biggest downside of CnF is too much hotel/aparthotel development in a area without beaches of any size. It has plenty of not 'brit abroad ' type places too, but you rub shoulders if you understand what I am saying.

The same can be said, but less so for Cala en Bosch - its all relative and very subjective

Edited: 22 April 2013, 15:58
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

Two things really, I'm thinking of the little one - we'll be getting up early to fly and I thought perhaps not having to go far when we arrived might help. That and the fact that every time I look I find something different or someone else saying place ABC was lovely etc. Really I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on a resort on the other side that would suit us equally well but just wanted to be clear I don't want to end up somewhere really noisy as with a very tired little boy it's not going to be a fun first family holiday.

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

I would totally agree with sandstroller who puts it so well.

I would say that calan bosch is a lovely resort and the paradise is in a perfect position for your family.

There are ofcourse brits there but other nationalities to witch we liked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

"I don't want to end up somewhere really noisy as with a very tired little boy it's not going to be a fun first family holiday." The first child is always the learning experience and you expect the worst, by the second you wonder what all the stress was about :-)

I have been to menorca several times with babies/toddlers myself ) but they really do need so little from a resort at that age, just safe shallow water, little sun tent to nap in-Pick for YOU!!!!!!!!!

The issue is package hotels - the overwhelming 'mass' have been set up in the west for ecological/environmental reasons

Santo Tomas is very , very quiet

Closer to the airport would be Son Bou 20-25 Min ( 3/4 th largest resort on Menorca ) Very beautiful setting,but a lot less package hotel choice than West coast resorts. Punta Prima 15mins ( quiet , but livelier compared to ST and easier to get to other places - 4 possibly suitable hotels

Edited: 22 April 2013, 17:53
Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

Hi Greg, Calan Bosc is a lovely resort and I think it would meet your needs perfectly. It has a lovely beach with clear shallow water ( as does most of Minorca ). It also has a very nice Marina with many really good restaurants. One of the first holidays we had with a toddler was Cala D'or in Mallorca which is quite similar. I remember strolling around the marina of an evening with our daughter in her stroller praying she would go to sleep so we could nip into a restaurant. Calan Bosc has a very nice family feel to it.

It is a lovely family resort and not at all Brits abroad. My family and I love it and have been many times over many years.

For me Santo T is a little small although it has a gorgeous beach and some lovely hotels/accommodation. Son Bou also has a beautiful beach.

If you are hiring a car you are never terribly far from anywhere as Minorca is only a small island. At Calan Bosc you will also be able to visit the nearby resorts of Cala Blanca, Cala Santandria and Cala Galdana. You are also only 7km outside the beautiful city of Ciutadella. Lovely tapas bars, coffee shops and great for some retail therapy. Also has a beautiful port.

One word of warning however is that August can get very very hot and quite busy anywhere on the island. If you are not stuck with school holidays June, July or September may be worth considering.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

I would echo Deebanks' suggestion of an alternative month unless your job precludes it. august can be not only extremely hot but worse in my opinion, extremely humid. Traffic is also at its height during August. Resort is a very personal choice. i know that nowhere is far in Menorca but I prefer to be near the aiport if possible but that's not to say that I haven't tried the western side, I just happen to refer staying on the eastern side and then visit the west.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

All locations suggested are good options ( I use Santo Tomas myself and think it is lovely for a peaceful holiday in a pretty location with a small child but can 100% see why some folk find it that bit too quiet). I also think that if you can avoiding August might be an idea but if you have to go in peak season that's what you have to do.

If you are thinking of a hire car in August you HAVE to prebook one now and it will not be cheap ( see Top Questions about car hire and all the warnings about using booking agents etc.) - if you are going on a package and using airport transfers rather than taking a car from the airport then bear in mind that Cala N'Bosch is going to be the longest transfer time as it is the furthest away from the airport and what with hanging around on transfer coaches waiting for everyone else to get onboard will extend that further

Level Contributor
126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

My first holiday abroad with my daughter was to Cala n Bosch when she was 3 yrs old. She slept through the transfer & we had a lovely time in this resort, the beach is lovely and so were the people.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

We have been to Cala'n Bosch and its a lovely resort great beach and the marina is good too. But we stay in Cala Galdana now as the beach is fab, the resort is geared towards familys. In fact the island of Menorca is geared for familys and couples and people who want a quiet and relaxing holiday. The Galdana Gardens apts are a great place to stay in Cala Galdana for self catering and is reasonably priced too. There are lots of British in Menorca but lots of Spanish and other nationalities too, but they are not the rowdy type that you see on TV . Where ever you stay im sure you'll love Menorca just like everyone on here who go back year after year. Hope you find what your looking for enjoy your stay.

10. Re: Cala'n Bosch - our best bet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:18