We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach holiday for couples

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Beach holiday for couples

Hi there,

My husband and I are going to Minorca for three days in aug. I have read various forums about where to stay but it has got me even more confused. I am looking for a chillaxing weekend in a nice beach, preferably where we could snorkel. Not sure what kind of accommodation we should go for as we like sea food and like to try different sorts of food.

Would really appreciate if someone could suggest area and resort to stay. Thanks.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Audax Spa in Cala Galdana is adults only and pretty nice, it's a compact town with several places to eat apart from the Hotel a lovely beach with pretty good snorkelling. If you like snorkelling the best thing you could do is hire one of the small motor boats the guy on the beach rents out and you can snorkel at every beach on a 10 mile stretch of the south coast - fantastic !.

Digger

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach holiday for couples

You might struggle to find anything free but agree with above suggestion or Hotel Ciutadella Port in Ciutadella

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Thanks for your information Digger. I'm looking to book accommodation now. One last Q - how do we get there from the airport? I have heard there isn't any metro train service from the airport to anywhere!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Just booked Galdana Gardens as the other two suggested weren't available. Read good reviews about this hotel apartment. Perhaps need to hire a car as not sure about the transport system. Help!!!

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach holiday for couples

There are buses from the airport to Mahon then you can connect to Galdana. I'm sure there's a link on the site for bus timetables. August is the busiest time and car hire will be pretty heavily booked so don't waste any time. There are always taxis available outside the arrivals terminal. BTW there are no trains on Menorca.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Your options are really a taxi from the airport, a transfer coach ( see Top Questions section) or hire a car. You CAN get buses from the airport into Mahon and then a bus down to Galdana but it will take forever as the service to Galdana isn't that often so I would forget that one. If you are only there for 3 days and want to sightsee then having a car could make good sense because it would cut out the transfer costs but availability is often a problem in August. If you want to hire a car then try one of the smaller firms like Poppy Cars (http://www.poppycars.com/ ) , Amber Cars (http://ambercarsmenorca.co.uk/ ) Binicars (http://binicars-menorca.com/index.aspx ) and others that will deliver the car to you at the airport. If none of the small firms have availability as you are only there for three days you could hire from one of the bigger companies like Owners Cars and avoid having to buy a compulsory tank full of fuel ( 4 days or longer hires and you will find they impose punitive fuel charges - see Top Question on Car Hire) but the general consensus on this forum is to avoid using Gold Cars like the plague as there have been numerous warnings about them on this forum from unhappy customers.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Thanks guys

I have hired a car from Expedia for £56 :) very pleased with the price. It's a Nissan Micra, don't mind driving it for three days for that price eh!

Thanks for your time and advice. Very much appreciated.

Cheers P

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach holiday for couples

I am worried now PLH00 - Expedia are NOT a hire firm just an online booking agent, the booking will be fulfilled by any one of several companies on the island some of whom have seriously bad rep (like Gold Cars) - who are you actually collecting the car from ?There are " issues" with some firms on the island who charge you huge add ons when you arrive - see the Top Question entitled "CAR HIRE - including WARNINGS".

I very much hope that the deal you have got will be just that but if once you look at the small print in the fulfilling companiy's T&Cs it turns out not to be so, you might want to find another firm and then cancel the first booking as worst case scenario is that you could have gotten yourself a "full to empty" booking which means being charged a premium rate ( 70€ or more) for a full tank of petrol that you have no hope of even putting a dent into in a 3 day hire with NO refund when you do not use it and possibly extra loadings for insurance - with the big firms you only get back insurance and have to pay a large deposit or top up insurance fee to get full CDW whereas the small firm prices are inclusive of full "no excess" insurance and do not rip you off with the petrol thing

With car hire it is very much "buyer beware" the big firms quote low base prices to hook you in and then you end up paying far more than you expected

Edited: 21 July 2013, 10:06
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach holiday for couples

Whoops sorry - I meant to say "with the big firms you only get BASIC insurance with an excess" ( around 500-600 euros not " ....with the big firms you only get BACK insurance"

10. Re: Beach holiday for couples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18