We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting up monte toro?

Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
Getting up monte toro?

Hi all im off to menorca in 3 weeks, it will be my 6th or 7th time visiting the island as my grandparents have a place there. I havent been for 3 years now and im going on my own for the first time with my girlfriend. Ive been monte toro a few times but that was when i was with family and had a car, i wont be driving so wondering if there is a bus that goes up there or is cab the only option? Ill be staying in fornells.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,684 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting up monte toro?

Lucky you to have access to a family place in such as nice location on the island! You aren't part of the Dogdad/Jon-the-dog family are you :-o

I am not aware of any buses that go up to the top of Monte Toro. You would need to take a bus from Fornells into Es Mercadal ( www.mymenorca.info/menorca/Buses.php#Menorca Bus Timetables) and from there a taxi up to Monte Toro (or you could even walk up along the roadside which I have seen people doing but it is quite a hike - see http://www.mymenorca.info/es-mercadal/ ). If you prefer a taxi all the way from Fornells ,the distance up to the sanctuary at El Toro would be around 12km so using the rates published on mymrenorcainfo a taxi should be less than 10 euros and if you didn't want to take one for the return trip you could walk back down to the town, get your breath back in a local bar/have lunch etc. before catching the bus back. Another option would be to incorporate the trip up to Monte Toro into a trip across the island to Ciutadella as you would need to change buses in Mercadal to go there anyway .

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting up monte toro?

This may not be your cup of tea at all and I daresay MenorcaRegular will laugh at my suggestion but here goes anyway and I'm taking costs of taxis into account:-

Join Thomson tour from Fornells which goes to Monte Toro then on to Hort Sant Patrici for cheese tasting followed by afternoon at Cala Galdana ending with 20 min demo at Son Martorellet before your return. The full day costs 39.50. i wouldn't normally recommend coach trips to someone of your age but walking is one hell of a trek. The other thing is taxi drivers can sometimes be negotiated with but this is usually out of season when they are happy to do a half day island tour.

Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting up monte toro?

Thanks for both your replies, no im not part of whatever family you mentioned ha. Ill actually be staying in playas de fornells so think we will just get a taxi from there up to monte toro then maybe attempt walking down as i cant imagine that being half as hard as walking up!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,684 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting up monte toro?

Actually I do not think the Thomson tour idea is that bad in the circs. but you may end up being taken to a "factory shop" (I call them "a few nice bits and loads of tat emporium") at some point en route LOL

Re Menorca90s comment "..maybe attempt walking down as i cant imagine that being half as hard as walking up!..." - it definately would be far easier walking back down than going up. If you want an idea of the road and gradient have a look at this YouTube footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NnC-Qhzfg8

Edited: 31 July 2013, 11:38
5. Re: Getting up monte toro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:16