We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be vigilant...

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
233 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Be vigilant...

Menorca is the most lovely quiet and friendly place, it can be easy to let your guard down when on holiday on such a wonderful island.

However, leave NOTHING of value in your hire car whether on show or not.

We visited the wonderful Favaritx lighthouse last week, unfortunately it seems whilst we were there some lovely person forced entry to the passenger door and was then able to access the boot where one of our group had left a purse containing a sum of money, which was taken. The damage was only slight so we didn't notice immediately, and then only because the dent stopped the window from closing fully.

Also make sure you are fully insured on your hire car, as even if you don't cause the damage you could be expected to pay for it.

Please don't let this put you off visiting Menorca, it is a wonderful and generally crime free place.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Be vigilant...

yes be vigilant and sorry for your experience but just for added balance....

Menorca has an extremely low crime rate - has done for many years. I left my car in the same location the other week -no problems. What happens is that in summer (only ) people from off the island come and these few are generally responsible for any opportunistic thefts. The island is still IMO one of the few places where you can relax without this being at the back of your mind

Tom

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be vigilant...

Sorry to hear of your experience and hope it didn't spoil your holiday too much.

After 30 years of visiting the Island I have never been or come across other people who have been the victim of crime.

It's probably the only place I would let my 91 year old granny walk home on her own.

I agree with Tom I think the problem can happen in the summer with people from mainland spain (The Beardies) being responsible for the petty crime on the island.

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be vigilant...

Somebody stole our windscreen wiper this year when the car was parked just down the road from the villa we were renting in Son Bou.

Still I'm always careful and even on the beach if we go for a walk along the edge I always take anything of any value with us.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be vigilant...

As a matter of a fact I have heard of other incidents at Favoritz and Cavalleria. It is difficult to know what more you can do if someone is really determined to break in, just make sure nothing at all is left visible.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 16:06
5. Re: Be vigilant...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23