We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arenal or son parc?

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
arenal or son parc?

Trying to choose between these two resorts, we're 2 adults early 50"s. We like a peaceful resort with a few bars and restaurants. We plan to visit in late June 2014 and rent an apartment Any suggestions welcome.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,014 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arenal or son parc?

Given your ages and fact that you do not have children to please, do you need a beach resort at all ? If you like the look of the east coast you could have a great time being based in Fornells village - no All Incl package hotels, a good mix of nationalities, excellent options for adult type dining out and lots of little boutique like shops to wander around. The village of Fornells ( not to be confused with Playa de Fornells nearby) is set beside a stunning bay and there are lots of opportunities for water sports and sailing and there are lots of apartments are available to rent privately.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arenal or son parc?

we do like Fornells and did look at C'an Digus whilst there in May but we also like swimming in the sea/ lying on the beach and it didn't look like that was possible there. Is Fornells fairly busy in the evening as we've only visited during the day?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arenal or son parc?

Yes, Fornelsl has no formal beach as such - though a good few local folk use the little "beach" opposite Can Digus. But for a real beach you really need to go over to either Cala Tirant, or Binimel-la /Pregonda. Alternatively go round a little way west to Son Parc or Arenal. You probably need a car for most of those, unless you are keen walkers / bikers where Tirant is perfectly do-able.

Bear in mind that Fornells is (IMO) unrivalled for selection of restaurants and in general for the sort of thing you are evidently looking for. So if you stay at one of the other resorts that you are considering you will in any event probably need - or at least much appreciate having - a car. In which case you'd probably be using it to go into Fornells of an evening, with the usual restrictions on drinking for the drive back. Better in my view to stay in Fornells and have the car for daytime use. Fornells is quite busy in the evenings at the time you are going. I'm there most years at around that time. It's predominantly Spanish- say 40%+, with a sprinkling of French, German, British. In fact it's probably a bit busier in the evenings than the daytime, as a lot of people come in to the village to eat (particularly down from Playa Fornells, which has very limited restaurants, though not at all bad) or round from Son Parc. You mention C’an Digus - good place to stay : or consider the Castell apartments opposite, overlooking the sea. They are all privately owned, but a lot of them are rented out particularly at the time you are going. The rentals are nearly all handled by Minorfinc www.menorfinc.com/ (00 34 971 37 69 66) who are very helpful – speak to Laura. But enquire soon before Fornells and nearly all Menorca ceases work for the winter. (They deserve it after a looooong summer !).

Best of luck, you’ll enjoy.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arenal or son parc?

thanks that gives me food for thought, funnily enough we looked at the apartments on the front but thought they were private homes. I'll check them out with my husband asap. thanks again

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: arenal or son parc?

Sorry to hijack your post(!), but my girlfriend and I are also looking for a place to stay for a week, from next Friday (20th Sep). I've decided Fornells Village is the place for us but can't seem to find any holiday apartments to rent there - instead I keep getting results for Playa Fornells.

I've emailed Minorfinc so hopefully that'll be a success, but if not, does anyone have any recommendations of a basic aparment for 2, that will serve simply as somewhere to stay, as we'll be out n about exploring during the days and evenings! There seems to be lots in Playa Fornells from as little as 260e - how long would it take to walk from there to the Village?

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arenal or son parc?

Ignore me - I've found a bunch of similar posts in the forum now!

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arenal or son parc?

Joel A

www.grupocarema.com/en/aldea/reservas/paso/1/

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,014 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arenal or son parc?

Joel

There is a Top Question on accommodation on the Fornells forum page which you might find useful. Playa de Fornells is a bit of a hike to the village especially in the evening so I would personally would opt to stay in the village if possible where all the restaurants are and walk out to Playa de F if you want the beach during the day. The only place I know the details of that is actually in the village is Ca'n Digus http://www.candigus.com/en/ but they may be full.

You could try sending a private message to Dogdad ( see send message icon on http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members/dogdad ) and ask for the names of some of the other apartments/hostels there or alternatively try ringing the office of Menorfinc ( www.menorfinc.com - I believe you need to speak to Laura) and see what they might have to offer. Another option is somewhere in Ses Salines which is just along the bay from the village centre

Edited: 13 September 2013, 20:00
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arenal or son parc?

Just to summarise, here's a list of the places in Fornells that I would recommend for an apartment.

Apartments Es Castell

Contact Menorfinc 00 34 971 37 69 66 info@menorfinc.com

C’an Digus 00 34 971 37 65 12 info@candigus.com

S’Algaret 00 34 971 37 65 52 reservas@hostal-salogaret.com

La Palma 00 34 971 37 66 34

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arenal or son parc?

I should perhaps have added to my last post that the last two places mentioned I don't know from personal experience, but have heard from others that they are very nice - modest but pleasant. I think they are more just rooms rather than apartments, so would perhaps not be suitable for a family wanting to cook some meals in. But for the two of you, just right I would say. My all means PM me for further details if you wish - but the websites for each of the establishments are pretty accurate and give a fair picture of what's what.

Get answers to your questions about Menorca