We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket near to airport

herefordshire
Level Contributor
174 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket near to airport

We are arriving at Mahon and picking up a hire car on the 4th but because of costs and practicalities will shuttle our party of 6 , one too many for a normal car and the next size is 100 quid more, to Binibeca since it is not far away.I was wondering if it would be worth dropping one of the party off to shop whilst the rest were then taken to the resort? How long would it take to drop someone off at the nearest large supermarket, to stock up, then return to the airport, or would it be better to drop that person off at the one between Mahon and St Louis, then return to the airport to get the rest of the party? Any suggestions welcome.Thanks.

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket near to airport

The nearest supermarket to the airport is probably the binipreu. Leave the the airport and take the first right at the roundabout. drive a further 500m ish and take the first left its then straight in front of you. There is also a Mercedona supermarket just behind the binipreu also.

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket near to airport

Menorca_Blue is right.

If you are unfamiliar with the area, I would opt for Mercadonna as it has lots of open air ground level parking, with sun shades if waiting for a pick up, whereas BiniPreu has limited outside parking, then it's underground multi-storey with steep inclines and tight turns once inside.

Journey time to Bini Preu/Mercadonna from the airport is 5-10 mins. Airport to Binibeca is about 20-25 minutes via Sant Lluis and shorter and quicker via Llucmacanes ( first right after leaving the main airport roundabout but it's narrow country lanes with passing places). In my opinion the Syp supermarket between Sant Lluis and Mahon isn't what it used to be and Mercadonna/Bini Preu have a wider choice.

To reduce waiting time at the airport, on arrival get the driver to go to the car hire desk and get the keys whilst the rest of you get the cases. For the main car hire companies this all happens in the same area and saves lots of time. Won't work if your hire company is meeting you outside the terminal.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket near to airport

All good advice

Assuming your car hire pick up is speedy (there have been lots of complaints on here about 1 hr plus delays queuing at the car hire desk sometimes) and you are ready to go pretty quickly, then if it were my choice I would go with the drop the shopper off at the supermarket on their own and get everyone else settled in Binibeca asap idea leaving you to go back and collect the lonely shopper on your own . If you have any delays and everyone is tired and fractious by the time you get the car then I would change plan and just do two runs direct to the resort, pick up a bit of milk and water there and then do the big shop once you have settled in and chilled a bit

RE CARS - I hope you are not booked via an online agent and going to be stuck in a Gold Car "car hire from hell" experience such as those detailed on the various threads we have had this year (look at the Top Question section) . Leaving aside the fact that they often take you off in a mininbus to collect the car making the whole pick up slower than expected, some people have had horrendous issues with them and Gold Car featured on BBC Watchdog recently for charging last minute insurance top ups, punitive "full to empty tank" fuel policies and alleging damage that hirers deny any knowledge of.

If you have booked a car direct via an agent check your paperwork now and if the provider of the vehicle is down as Gold Cars. I would strongly recommend you try and see if it is not too late to make a reservation with another firm ( one with no upfront deposit, a quick and easy meet and greet service at the airport and no extortionate fuel policies) and then see if you can cancel the first booking before you set off. Who knows, you might even find you can get a 6 person car for an "all in, full insurance, no excess or silly add ons " price which will also solve the need to go to the resort in two trips

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket near to airport

Binipreu does have some parking at ground level. i have never needed to go underground. It is very nice and has a cafe to wait in and sells newspapers and magazines which Mercadona does not.

However Mercadona is keener on price especially on fruit and veg and meat. i like both.

Large supermarket between Mahon and San Luis was Eroski last time I went but it may have changed. i am not a fan as they have a lot of own label goods and not branded ones.

herefordshire
Level Contributor
174 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket near to airport

Thanks for the advice.Shouldn't be a problem with the car since, having read all the warnings on Trip advsior, Inhave booked through Poppy cars which are having very good reviews.Will keep plan a, go and shop whilst others go to villa, and plan b, if fractious, go in two journeys, or even plan c, get a taxi for the odd one out and just get to the resort and buy the basics until we get to the supermarket the next day. any thanks again.

6. Re: Supermarket near to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20