We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorcarent car rentals

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Menorcarent car rentals

We have just recently had a lovely week in Menorca and hired a car from www.menorcarent.com. They were an excellent local company to deal with. You do not need to pay anything until you collect the car and they meet you in the airport so no need to queue at a rental office. They then take you out to the car to do the paperwork WITHOUT any mention of extra insurance for anything, you can pay cash or by card. The car has a 1/4 full tank and that is how you return it. Just leave it in the airport car park where you collected it from with the keys and car parking ticket. A definite recommendation!!!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorcarent car rentals

Sounds very similar to the way other local firms work although some like Poppy Cars charge you a fair rate for a half tank and ask you to bring it back empty.

As you say, the way to go is with a reservation with a small independent who do not require any payment up front and with whom the total cost of the hire is agreed beforehand - forget "cheap" deals through online booking agents and avoid any firm not offering an all in price including full no excess insurance.

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorcarent car rentals

I'd like to put a good word in for Autos Amigos. British run local company with no hidden charges. I've hired from them a few times now and never had a problem.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorcarent car rentals

.... just waiting for the next forum post on best deal on comparison site X FORGET them!

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorcarent car rentals

Whilst clearly there are good deals and bad deals to be done when hiring cars I think it is wrong to say avoid the comparison sites per se. What should be recommended is ‘do your research and get the best deal for you’.

I have visited Menorca for over 20 years and for the vast majority of visits have used the Holiday Autos on-line booking service. This year I had a car for a fortnight at the end of Aug beginning of Sept for £211.50. I think that would take some beating. The supplier was Europcar based at the airport, with a fuel arrangement that I was happy with i.e. bring it back with the same level of fuel as is in the tank now. But I didn’t just take this for granted and book blind.

What I do is phone Holiday Autos and ask them who the supplier is. If they offer any of the ‘rogue’ companies I decline and ask for another quote until I get the company I know and trust and balance this with the price I want to pay.

I have just booked with HA for a week this month from Malaga. Prices for a group A car started at £39 and went up to £140. When I asked who the suppliers were, the cheapest were the ‘rogues’ and the most expensive were the on-airport multinational companies. I have hired with a company off-airport I have used before without problem and am paying £45, with a ‘full now return the car empty fuel policy’. I am touring so I’ll be doing the miles and will refuel. This is what is best for me and won’t be right for everyone, but to write off the comparison sites just because of a few rogues can be an expensive mistake.

I believe that the better deal I can get on the car hire leaves me with more cash to spend in the shops, restaurants and historical sites.

I also recommend checking independent feedback sites by Googling the car hire company name and adding ‘review’ to the search. Then look at the supplier’s own feedback pages and do a comparison. But remember ‘Read not to believe, but to weigh and consider’.

5. Re: Menorcarent car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:18