We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Hello, I need advice on Minorca and a resort suitable for a couple with a 1 year old. I've never been to Minorca before (ive been to majorca and ibiza) and would like to try it as a holiday destination for a first holiday for my little boy.

We are looking to go end of June / Start of July if that influences any resort advice and I would like a resort that has a gentling shelving beach for my little one to paddle in.

I'm undecided on if I prefer self catering or hotel as price will play a big factor.

Any advice welcome as I'm a complete novice when it comes to Minorca!

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Check this out this first tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k51… then come back with a shortlist for more detailed comment - also look at www.mymenorca.info/menorca-resorts/index.php to guide shortlist

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Agree totally with this - just about everywhere will be fine for your needs but some resorts are a lot more busy than others and I think people will agree suit different tastes. The west coast resorts ( esp. those to the north of Ciutadella) are more "British package holiday" and more brash but are definitely quieter than they once were due to All Incl packages reducing custom for local bars etc.

I personally think Santo Tomas would be lovely for a quiet break with a toddler that does not involve too long an airport transfer. It has a great beach which is never crowded and has easy access for people pushing buggies but Santo Tomas is too quiet for some peoples tastes. I can personally recommend self catering in the newly refurbished apartments on the Mestral & Llebeig complex there ( the apartments have brand new all mod cons and free aircon throughout) or perhaps a studio apartment in Vistamar ( although I have not seen inside those so do not know what they are like) . Another idea would be somewhere in Son Bou but you have to be careful not to pick somewhere too far back in the resort as some places there do not have easy access to the beach

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

I was thinking cala n Bosch ?.. Any good? but my main concern is transfer time with a 1 year old! I don't want the area to be deadly quiet as I would like to stroll out on an evening with places to see send go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

With a 1 year old you are totally unrestricted where you can go( transfer length aside ) . Cala en Bosch is very unMenorca so frankly you could go anywhere like that for a lot less money. Decide what you like, rather than the little one's 'needs'

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Cala N'Bosch would be fine, but as Sandstroller says it is not typically Menorcan and the island is more expensive to go to than Mallorca so......... Bosch has plenty of "strolling and people watching" and places to eat although your baby will probably be too young in 2014 to appreciate the kiddies facilities there so that could be an idea for something in the future :-) but the transfer time to Cala N'bosch is long, there is no getting away with that fact.

If you really want to find somewhere with a shorter transfer that still is going to have enough other people about in late June/early July have you considered Cala Galdana ? It has a lovely beach ( very picturesque horseshoe shaped bay) , plenty of accommodation options for family needs, a decent amount of places to eat out.etc. Parts of it are hilly ( this may be an issue with villa locations especially) but that is towards the back of the resort . Even accepting that you do not want it to be anywhere too quiet Son Bou might still be worth looking at if you pick an hotel etc. close to the central part of the resort ( also near to down near the beach) Arenal Den Castell on the east coast might be worth looking at too as it has an excellent beach as well but you need to research hotels etc. there carefully because the recent rash of All Incl packages to some hotels there has resulted in a change to the clientele and there have been issues with hotels not managing to cope well with the demands of some of its customers.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 10:26
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

I have started looking at resorts nearer to the airport. Cala N'Porter?? Are the beaches in Punta Prima and santo tomas gentle and shelving?? From the pics I have seen they look slight more rough beaches as they aren't coves???

Is cala galdana an expensive resort if you are self catering??

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

All these places are VERY different to each other but none have sharply shelving waterlines that would be dangerous for little children. Some are far busier than others for a start. To answer your question Santo Tomas has a very narrow line of sand dune along the beach area over which there are wooden walkways onto the beach itself at regular intervals which are accessed directly from the paved walkway that runs along the entire length of the resort . It is a very nice beach for family use - nicer in my opinion than Punta Prima's beach but PP is a busier place. Re "is Galdana expensive?" EVERYWHERE on the island will be more expensive than the mainland or Mallorca. If you are self catering the supermarkets in the larger resorts are likely to be cheaper in relative terms than those in the smaller resorts (due to competition between shop owners) but food supplies will always be cheaper inland in the proper towns and especially in the larger supermarkets but you would really need a car to visit those.

I think before anyone can give you any more info you need to make a shortlist of accommodation then people can give you an honest opinion. It might also help to look at info websites ( see Top Question section) AND use the TA review pages for the accommodation you are considering

Edited: 02 October 2013, 15:44
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Punta Prima is probably slightly more shelving than Cala en Porter but more exposed. Both are popular with families. One of the favourite beaches with gentle shelving water is Es Grau. It is one to.visit if you can as there are no hotels there, although there is self catering but only suitable for independent travellers who don't require everything on the spot.

As far as price is concerned I don't think Cala Galdana is more expensive than other resort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Hi Gemsi3306 here's a guide to the transfer times it may help you to choose a resort.

Approximate transfer times from Mahon Airport

Addaia 25km/30min

Alaior 14km/30min

Arenal den Castell 27km/30min

Binibeca 16km/30min

Binidali 16km/30min

Binisafua 16km/30min

Cala Alcaufar 12km/30min

Cala Blanca 50km/60min

Cala Canutells 6km/20min

Cala Galdana 37km/50min

Cala n Blanes 51km/60min

Cala n Bosch 56km/70min

Cala n Forcat 51km/60min

Cala n Porter 12km/20min

Cala Santandria 48km/60min

Cap DArtruix 61km/70min

Coves Noves 26km/30min

Cuitadella 46km/60min

Es Castell 9km/20min

Es Migjorn 31km/40min

Ferreries 30km/45min

Fornells 31km/40min

La Argentina 11km/20min

Los Delfines 51km/60min

Macaret 24km/30min

Mahon 20km/6min

Mercadal 23km/30min

Punta Prima 14km/30min

S Algar 14km/30min

Sa Caleta 48km/60min

San Lluis 9km/30min

Santo Tomas 29km/40min

Sol Del Este 10km/20min

Son Bou 21km/30min

Son Carrio 50km/60min

Son Parc 26km/35min

Son Saura 26km/35min

Son Xoriguer 61km/70min

Torre Soli 23km/30min

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
570 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Friendly Resorts Help Please!

Can I second Dettorifan's recommendation of Es Grau. As she said, it's quiet (that alone put's it up the list for me, compared with some of the more westerly resorts. Yes, it's self catering - no hotels (another plus for me) and the beach is EXACTLY what you have asked for. The only downside is a relative scarcity of restaurants in the village itself.

But if you consider cooking in, with perhaps an occasional visit to one of the two or three first rate small restaurants in EsGrau, you'll be happy. Hire a car, if only for a short while, go a short distance to find some really super places. Then you'll be delirious.

Get answers to your questions about Menorca
Recent Conversations