We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos

Just wanted to know if theres any mosquitos in menorca at this time of year. We are staying in

Cala Forcat.Thanking you

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

Yes there are. There have been previous recommendations on products on this forum. My own choice is a Deet free product available at at Amazon.

Somerset
Level Contributor
41 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

I've just got back and never saw one!

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
651 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

Been to Menorca about 15 times and have not been bitten once. I actually thought this meant there weren't any as I get bitten pretty much anywhere else I visit.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 13:02
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

You have just been lucky butterfly - they make a beeline for me too and I am usually sporting at least one red angry bitemark to prove it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

Mosquitoes belong to a group of insects that requires blood to develop fertile eggs. Males do not lay eggs, thus, male mosquitoes do not bite. The females are the egg producers and "host-seek" for a blood meal. Female mosquitoes lay multiple batches of eggs and require a blood meal for every batch they lay. Few people realize that mosquitoes rely on sugar as their main source of energy. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on plant nectar, fruit juices, and liquids that ooze from plants. The sugar is burned as fuel for flight and is replenished on a daily basis. Blood is reserved for egg production and is imbibed less frequently

Scientists are still investigating the complexities involved with mosquito host acceptance and rejection. Some people are highly attractive to mosquitoes and others are rarely bothered. Mosquitoes have specific requirements to satisfy, and process many different factors before they feed. Many of the mosquito?s physiological demands are poorly understood and many of the processes they use to evaluate potential blood meal hosts remain a mystery. Female mosquitoes use the CO2 we exhale as their primary cue to our location. A hostseeking mosquito is guided to our skin by following the slip stream of CO2 that exudes from our breath. Once they have landed, they rely on a number of short-range attractants to determine if we are an acceptable blood meal host. Folic acid is one chemical that appears to be particularly important. Fragrances from hair sprays, perfumes, deodorants, and soap can cover these chemical cues. They can also function to either enhance or repel the hostseeking drive. Dark colors capture heat and make most people more attractive to mosquitoes. Light colors refract heat and are generally less attractive. Detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes, and body odor can counteract the effects of color. In most cases, only the mosquito knows why one person is more attractive than another.....

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

Well whatever the attractant is Tony, I must have lots of it because the little b*****s ( sorry, devils) sure find me attractive. Come dusk or whatever the "right conditions" that day are, the insect cry goes up "dinner girls" and they all zoom towards my legs!

When I was a child my father and I always got bitten by any passing insect in need of sustenance whereas they never touched my mother ( Dad always said they wouldn't have dared LOL) - it was very annoying

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

"Female mosquitoes use the CO2 we exhale as their primary cue to our location."

So the answer is Stop Breathing! - problem solved:)

I'm just back from Costa del Sol where a few restaurants/bars placed half lemons studded with cloves on the tables to keep the blighters away. I've heard of using lemons before but not cloves as well. I wasn't bitten.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

The half a lemon and clove is one of the good old natural methods that works. I tell people to pack some cloves as these are not so easy to buy with limited spanish. Also cut up lemons and put in ice compartment to make excellent 'ice cubes' wearing dark clothes was also a no,no. The sure way to avoid being bitten is to be next to someone who is a good host :-)

9. Re: mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 06:20