We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'd avoid owners cars too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
I'd avoid owners cars too.

I was on a 24hr visit to Menorca to sort a few things out, I only hired a car because it gave me extra flexibility. I paid about £28 with Holiday Autos and got an "Owners car". I would have used Poppy or someone out of choice but they can't do 24hr hire.

When I got the car I was advised that it had 2 scuffs on the front bumper, one left and one right. I went to the car park and found it had 2 larger scuffs on the back door and wheel arch. I went to find their rep. in car park but the office had a note on the door "back in 5 minutes". He was gone over 40 mins and in that time I had even considered taking a photo of the damage whilst the car was still in the car park and leaving, 40 mins is a lot of time when you're only there 24 hours and have got people to see, etc. I hung on and showed their rep the damage and he wrote on my form (scribble and of course in Spanish).

Whilst I was there I drove about 30 miles and returned the car the next day. A different rep. was in the car park and she spotted the scuffs straight away and told me I'd caused "big damages". I told her that the last guy had noted it on my paperwork. She looked at what he had put and told me he had put back door and not mentioned the wheel arch damage. I told her "in no uncertain terms" that she could take this problem up with the person who had written it. She backed down after a while and signed the car off.

I have to wonder if the first rep not being in the car park is done so I give up waiting. My main problem is how come they can't spot the damage when they send you out in the car but find it so obvious when you return it. Spotting damage is central to their business in terms of making the right person pay so I don't except that anything more than a very small margin of error is acceptable.

If you have already booked with this company please be very very careful and if you haven't booked yet I'd avoid them. They didn't want twenty something pounds for me using a car for 30 miles in 24 hours I am convinced they wanted to rob me of a couple of hundred pounds for damage that possibly several people have already paid for.

The worst thing in my mind is that I actually bothered to put four euros of diesel in so I took the car back full!

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

Goldcar Palma airport - customers queuing for their hire car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPD8nY2pT2g

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

I was so fuming at them trying to work me over that I didn't mention the queue where some must have been waiting for an hour or more. If I ran my business with such contempt for my customers I wouldn't have any in 12 months time!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

Very funny tony c but not if you are in the queue! What is the betting that the delays are down to people at the front arguing about unexpected "add ons " and fuel charges

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

Ive used Owner Cars ( at Mahon airport ) two of three times when my usual company did not have any cars left- I've personally never had a problem fuel/damage wise with them - the manager is very friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

I've used them in previous years and never had a problem. Maybe something has changed like profit related pay or even a bonus for charging damage. We need someone to get a job there and go undercover!!!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

I too have used Owners many times (but always from a particular resort office where the guy is charming) and have never had a problem over supposed damage or whatever but we have always gone for the full CDW insurance option. I stopped using them when the silly full to empty fuel policy thing came into being as I regard it as a rip off and would rather see a proper base price for the hire in the first place rather than supposedly get the car cheaper and then pay expensive charges for petrol I cannot use

7. Re: I'd avoid owners cars too.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:21