We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter 2014

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Easter 2014

As Easter is so late this year we have booked a long weekend in Menorca from Good Friday to Easter Monday. Does anyone know if the supermarkets, especially those in Mahon, will be open? Also will any of the restaurants have opened for the summer by then? I'm assuming that all the shops in the centre of Mahon will be closed as the weekend is a public holiday?

Thanks for your help.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter 2014

Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and Easter Sunday are holidays but the Saturday is not so shops in Mahon should be open in the morning. I am not sure about the supermarkets but Binipreu has a website and I am sure will post opening times nearer the time or possibly respond to an email enquiry in English.

As regards to restaurants those which close for the season are unlikely to reopen before May but many in Mahon and indeed elsewhere remain open and some open Fridays and weekends only. Are you staying in Mahon itself? We have been in February and April and not had difficulty finding places. Lucky you, enjoy the parades.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter 2014

Hi, we are staying near to Addaia/Arenal. We are regulars in Menorca so go into Mahon a lot when we are there but have never travelled over Easter before. Thanks very much for your reply, I will certainly check the Binipreu website as you suggest. I just hope that we are lucky and a few of the restaurants near us in Macaret, Arenal etc start to open up too.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter 2014

We went to Menorca a couple of years ago over Easter - I stay in Fornells so can speak only of that as we didn't stray far from the village. Almost all the restaurants in Fornells were open for the main weekend of the holiday - but they closed again immediately after, to re-open in May. Tha small block of apartments (20 of them) in which I stay is completely empty during the winter but over the Easter hol. there were several of our Spanish neighbours visiting for the weekend. I think the island is relatively well visited over this period - if Easter comes late, hence the restaurant activity. I recall the Spar supermarket in Mercadal being open - as I believe it is for quite a large part of every day, even during the winter, as there's a reasonably sized local population. I know that sounds a bit obvious but for those who are less familiar with the island you have to remember that many of the "resorts" are just that. In winter there are NO locals living there, and out of season you might as well be on the moon. Except that in most of those resorts you won't find anywhere to stay!!. I think that you, Gillian, will have a lovely break over Easter - do try and book another trip for a little later if only to enjoy the contrast.

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter 2014

We often stay in Menorca over Easter. Our apartment is in Coves Noves and the restaurants in the square will mostly be open. Addaia is a bit hit and miss (although the Taj should be open). The Spar in Coves Noves should also be open. We fly out on Good Friday too so will be double checking with our management company, nearer the time, to ensure what's open and what's not. I doubt there will be much open in Arenal but you never know. I'm sure you will have a lovely weekend!

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter 2014

Thanks, we are in Coves Noves too so that's perfect. I'm hoping that Copas Paella and Japi in Arenal will be open. It's good to know that the supermarket in Coves will be open. You have a good trip too and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter 2014

Hi Gillian H, just to update you. I'm just back from Coves Noves and Pirata, Flamingo and Can Guixo were all open. The Spar wasn't (yet) although it will be shortly. I'm still not sure whether supermarkets will be open on Good Friday-they certainly will be on the Saturday. There is a Spar open in Punta Grossa and Arenal was generally getting ready to wake up.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter 2014

There now.

Mercadal Spar open as are all other shops in Mercadal. It shuts at 8.30. I'd do a shop in Mercadona or lidl before leaving Mahon.

Mercadal Restaurants nearly all open and busy lunch and evenings. Quite buzzy compared to Fornells where I am. La Guapa opens this Thursday, in Fornells. Back again early May Ryan Air x East Mids. Half the price of Monarch !! (Pride has it's price)

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter 2014

Re "...Back again early May Ryan Air x East Mids. Half the price of Monarch !! (Pride has it's price) ..." as my old morther used to say "there is no point cutting off your nose to spite your face" so why not take the bargain but is that with or without your luggage John ??? I envy people who have a place on the island for whom baggage isn't the same sort of issue as it is for the rest of us ..........:-(

I hope that everyone visiting over Easter has a lovely time - I am dead jealous as I have to wait until June to get there. Men Reg.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter 2014

I love Easter on the island. It is a lovely peaceful contrast to the busier summer months. I would also get any supermarket shopping done before Sunday as after mass it's pretty quiet.

We have a place in Ciutadella and after mass each of the squares fill with locals armed with shotguns and special cartridges. A scarecrow is then strung from the telephone wires adorned with a mask of whoever is the public hate figure of the day. Shots are then fired for a very long time until the dummy catches fire. It takes a while and is VERY noisy although quite a spectacle.

After that if its sunny my gang will be off to the beach and if it's not a long lunch at cafe Balear or S'Amarador which should be open on the Port and a few vino's!!!

As for Ryan Air I couldn't get there half as much without them so it's East Midlands here we come!!!! Can't wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter 2014

deebanks31

You may be able to spot yourself in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEFxCSzrT8

I was there about six years ago and agree about it being is "very noisy" but worth visiting if you're in the area over the easter.