We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorca in April

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Menorca in April

Hi.

We are breaking away from the usual holiday in Wales for the Easter break and have decided to visit Menorca. We know the weather might not be great and that a lot of the resorts are still closed. However, can anyone recommend where to stay? We have never been before and we would like somewhere that has some restaurants and shops open, but it would also be nice to be near a beach. The kids are 5&7 and like the beach regardless of the weather.

Any suggestions for towns and even for actual self-catering places would be hugely appreciated. I'm having trouble finding out which towns are somewhat open as opposed to being ghost towns, which we'd find a little creepy!

Thanks in advance

Elly

Edited: 13 February 2014, 11:37
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorca in April

Realy you are best opting for Mahon, Ciudadela or Es Castell for restaurants and bars to be open. Reduced level bus services will get you to a limited number of beaches but a car would be ideal. If the weather is inclement there is not so much for such young children. Are you really sure you want to spend the money on an island that is not really geared to tourists with young childiren at this time of year?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorca in April

Agree with all the above

"Are you really sure you want to spend the money on an island that is not really geared to tourists with young childiren at this time of year?"

....well depends of what the kids are like and what they like doing before ruling it out?

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorca in April

Agree also. I'd be more tempted to look at neighbouring Mallorca at that time of year. We've had a few good Easter breaks there.

JtheD

YORKSHIRE
Level Contributor
318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorca in April

I agree with the people in the know I have been to the island in March and April and it's very very quite and it can rain hard as we'll

truro
Level Contributor
905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menorca in April

My opinion

Try Playa Blanca in Lanzarote

Beautiful weather,Glorious beaches,everything will be open.

It's a very family friendly resort.

Your money will stretch further too.

Menorca is lovely too but best in the Summer months.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Menorca in April

if you want above 25 degree in April then you need to go much further south

Playa Blanca beach , seriously ? looked dreadfull on the Internet

Edited: 16 February 2014, 21:25
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,278 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menorca in April

I agree with the others that unless you know Menorca well and understand the huge differences in it out of season and during the summer going in April is not going to be ideal as the beach resorts are all likely to be the ghost towns you want to avoid. Mallorca has a much longer season so you might want to post up on that forum for some ideas - the weather may not be great but at least you will not be the only tourist in town!

If www.discoverlanzarote.com/playa-blanca.asp is accurate then I agree with sandstroller that Playa Blanca isn't at all similar to Menorca. A warmer April perhaps, but everything else looks way too developed to me if you were attracted by what Menorca has on offer generally .

London, England
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Menorca in April

Having lived and worked in Menorca, I would not take young children for a beach holiday in April. Many places will be closed and it is not likely to be warm enough to go on the beach. If you are thinking of going at easter then some places may start opening for the season, but that doesn't change the weather. Mallorca will be a bit busier, but still not warm.

For it to be warm you need to go as far as the Canaries.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
378 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menorca in April

I'm considering out of season holidays in Menorca when my son has left home, ideally for walking holidays in the gorges and hills, but I know my 14yo boy would hate that, so we stick to summer for now.

I would second Es Castell or Mahon as somewhere to stay but you will certainly need to hire a car to get to beaches. Please remember that there will be no lifeguards on the beaches out of season. You'll also need to research which restaurants will be open (think bigger towns only like Mahon, Es Mercadel, Alaior, Ciutadella)

You will also need a car to access the bigger Eroski / Hiper Centro type supermarkets in Mahon as I can't imagine many shops will be open in resort.

A friend who lives in Alaior tells me the weather can be glorious or awful that time of year, no guarantees.

Obviously you know your children better than me, but if you think at that they might need any other entertainment or guaranteed sunshine, then it might be best to consider Menorca at a different time of year.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Menorca in April

Just a reminder OP says Wales/Easter ( and beach ) so do not assume they are looking for a Warm weather stripped off sandcastles holiday?

"A friend who lives in Alaior tells me the weather can be glorious or awful that time of year, no guarantees." love weather quotes

Perhaps OP's children are a bit too young to enjoy what menorca offers in Spring given the cost to fly there?