We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Hello,

My wife and I are going to Menorca for 6 days in the first part of June. We would like to visit each area of the island each day (Cutidella, Cala Galdana, Fornells, Cala Porter and Mahon - another one?). We would like to go hiking each day, ideally a 30+ minute hike with nice views towards a virgin beach. Can anyone recommend one for each area for each day?

Also where shall we stay as a base camp (will rent car) with easy driving to each area. My gut points towards Ferrieres but if there is a good alternative, please advise (Cala Galdana? Cal Porter?).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

hi Jeff, what are you looking to do in the areas during the day? More cultural or being in Nature or ?. I personally would do the beach hikes late afternoons with picnics,better colours . I would suggest Ferreries or Alaior as base.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

I recommend you buy the Sunflower series 'Landscapes of Menorca'. This guide gives detailed routes for some lovely walks but best of all provides detailed markers on the route, historical explanations and some lovely photos. You would gain so much more from your walks. I might also suggest an ordnance survey map also available at Amazon.

There are some good videos on You Tube in a series 'Secret places of Menorca' along the Cami de Cavalls' which is the walkers' and horseriders' old coastal route around the island. You could choose some of the routes you fancy and see the difficulty and length of time to expect.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 10:16
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

I'd decide how you want to mix up your day in any area as that will decide which trek is best, getting back before it gets darker etc Agree with going later in the day.

There does not tend to be too many 'loops'.

You could decide to look a different styles of beach? The north coast is very different to south coast eg Cala Pilar Beach

Couple of good sites to help you decide :

menorcaexplorer.com/en/…

www.mymenorca.info/menorca-beaches/virgin.php

Rotherham, England
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Mercadal or Ferreries are most central and give access to many 'virgin' beaches. Each have suitable hotels- Loar or Ses Sucreres in Ferreries and Hostal Jeni or Hotel Es Mercadal in Mercadal. The best beaches may be rather more than 30 minute hikes from the nearest parking, although Macarella and Mitjana are about that from Cala Galdana. Some recommended beaches NB virgin means undeveloped but not likely to be totally deserted in June:

Binigaus from Sant Tomas (or even better, from Es Migjorn - longer but a lovely walk)

40 minutes beyond Binigaus is Escorxada, my favourite of the virgin coves

Cala Turqueta has parking within 30 minutes of parking

Cala Trebaluger is accessible from parking at Cala Mitjana or for a longer hike, from Galdana

On the north side, beautiful Cala Pregonda can be easily reached from parking at Binimel-la.

Further east, Calas Presili and Tortuga are walkable from Favaritx.

There are lots more, and you can vary starting points depending on how far you want to walk.

We will be there until 10th June and will be visiting these beaches so perhaps we'll bump into you.

Enjoy!

Bill

Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Thanks for all your advice.

We are mostly interested in long hikes in the AM; relax at the beach and hike back before walking around town for dinner.

Looking forward to them!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

The Cova de Coloms ( see mymenorca.info/menorca-seeanddo/walking.php ) near Es MIgjorn is worth visiting as part of any walk to Binigaus . As malagarba has said, there are two routes to Binigaus ( or do it in loop using the road back up from Santo Tomas to Es Migjorn ) - down the barranc or along the beachline walking out of Santo Tomas starting at the bar/restaurant called Es Bruc which is a popular cooling off spot for with walkers.

The walking maps/guides featured on the webpage I have linked to are useful ( you can get them from Amazon) . There is also a book specifically about the Cami de Cavalls ( includes a map) which is going for a ridiculous price on Amazon ( see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cam%C3%AD-Cavalls-Joan-Mercadal-Argimbau/dp/848478505X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395389783&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=walking+menorca+cami+de+cavalls ) but which we bought for 16 Euros on the island last year - I have seen them on sale in shops in several resorts so you would be able to pick one up when you arrive

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Two of my favorite beach walks both starting in cala galdana a short bus ride from Ferreries

https://maps.google.es/maps/ms…

distance: 13.36 km

https://maps.google.es/maps/ms…

distance: 13.05 km

You would need to get a taxi back

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

@Tony c I'm guessing your walk to Son Bou does not follow the cami de cavalls signs as that route ( I think ) goes a long way inland between Galdana and Binigaus?

Edited: 21 March 2014, 11:24
London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Tom your right most of the time I don't stick to the cami de cavalls route and use the smaller tracks staying as close as possible to the coast .

A good tip for anyone - as you get to Cala Mitjana climb up the headland to the right then look out for and follow the small red dots painted on some stones showing the way to Trebaluger.

From Trebaluger you do have to walk inland for a short time before reaching Cala Escorxada from there its easy using the small tracks to get to Binigaus - Santo Tomas where you can have a ice cold beer in one of the beach bars before you walk the final leg over the headland to Son Bou.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Menorca: Hiking to Virgin Beaches and Base Camp advice

Hmm Interesting. A lot to get thru here so best I post twice. I'll deal with the Trebalugar thing first.

AFAIK the cami used to run along the coast from galdana via mitjanetta, mitjana, Trebalugar, excoxda (spelling? Pron exorchada) and on to binigaus and Santo T. This route was however frequently blocked by aggrieved landowners.

When the authorities wanted to recreate the cami for tourism purposes they understandably routed the path inland avoiding the disputed area on the cosst. Since then the landowners have relented a liitle and we now have the inland cami route and the alternative "coastal path" - which is what I think we all advise the OP to take to those virgin beaches! Phew.......

It was the coastal path that myself, mrs D and old Ma D did as our first cami walk some 10 years ago, not sure if we'd get thru or be turned back by men with guns!

More reco's for where to stay and what walks to doo in my next post.

JtheD

Edited: 21 March 2014, 20:42