We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

I was just pricing up a 4 bed, 3 bath villa on villa plus and went right through to the page where you pay to see if there were any ad ons, how much they charge fit payment by credit card etc.

I'm not sure if I am totally out of touch, but for a £1450 one week villa only rental they required a £800 security deposit on top, so more than half again. Which you get back four weeks after you return home.

Does this seem excessive to other forum members? We are not travelling till September so this would mean they have this for nearly seven months. I feel a bit shocked by this.

I was attracted to Villa Plus as they seem to get good press on here and other forums. My last three villa holidays have been with James Villas and I have never been charged a damage deposit at all.

Could it be an error ?

Edited: 23 March 2014, 22:13
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

I book with Owners Direct and have never been asked for such a large security deposit and have never paid any amount which needs to be refunded after my visit.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 22:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

Thank you for your reply dettorifan, I think that site is for when you book direct with owners, which I would go for but want the option of paying by credit card for the extra insurance it gives and understandably a lot if owners aren't set up for that method of payment, as I know there is an extra cost to rake take cards.

I am beginning to wonder if it is specific to this particular villa, so maybe I should price up a few others - it seems an enormous amount to me :-(

It said something like for the profile of your party which I didn't understand, we are two fifty something's and adult children, so I wouldn't have thought we were high risk.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 22:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

Hmm it might be because I didn't change the age profile boxes as I was trying to do a quick costing. it's possible we went down as 5 x 18 - 25 year olds and deemed high risk. I will mess about with it tomorrow when I have more time. Another costing I tried you had to pay so much per bedroom as a damage insurance but it wasn't returned to you, was a much more reasonable amount £79. I would rather pay that non refundable amount than a much larger refundable amount.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 23:49
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

You are probably right about credi card payment although Owners Direct do have an indemnity scheme. Am I right in thinking you are trying to rent in Calan Forcat? If it is simply the profile of your party then hopefully you can sort it out. You have obviously looked for recommended companies but I might be able to suggest some others you can pay by card that I have used depending on your location choice. Best of luck.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 08:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

Hello again, I've been looking at a few places as finding the right villa is as important to us as the resort. We will have a car so we are looking at the whole island as the resort. My main focus has been Binibeca, Santo Tomas, Son Parc and the one I was looking at with Villa Plus was in Cala Galdana. Would like a selection of walkable restaurants and a beach so have not looked at Forcat but am seeing nice villas there on my trawl through the sites and it's close to the city.

The problem was I didn't change my husband and I's ages to 25 to 65 age bracket ergo the website thought we were a group of 5, 18 to 25 year olds and the big damage deposit is to put off groups of young people. So I am fine to book with them 2.5% credit card fee, but I will have to deal with that if I want financial protection.

I need to ring them as it is not clear what their hire car fee covers, it seems too cheap at £165 a week, Poppy's want €410 for a similar car. Thank you for your interest.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,788 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

I am glad that your "risk" level has come down Tilley

The places you mention you are looking at in post 5 are VERY different to Cala N'Forcat which is not renowned for either the scenery in the immediate vicinity nor its not that great ( by Menorcan standards anyway) beaches. I am assuming that you have looked at the top couple of Top Questions and are carefully researching the immediate vicinity of everywhere that is currently an option . As you say you intend having a car anywhere is an option as long as it isn't on a flight path ( see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g642211-i20813-k7081612-Villa_Ses_Milans_Mahon_in_Menorca-Mahon_Minorca_Balearic_Islands.html)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

I use www.rentacarsalgar.com who I can thoroughly recommend. In September you will get a free upgrade to a Group C car paying only for a Group A. If you require a higher group than C I am sure Peter would offer you a deal. Payment on collection however you choose to pay. Sounds like your villa is sorted and I think Galdana is an excellent choice. Mitjana is a lovely beach to walk to and Menorca en Barco is one of Trip Advisor's top attractions in Menorca. Nano is charming and will tailor his catamaran trips to your needs and interests, speaking perfect English and although from Madrid, extremely knowledgeable about the island!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

I'm not sure Villa Plus ( or any like James ) own any of the villas they let, so they have to cover themselves with the actual private owners?

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

Thank you both again.

I have a vague recollection of driving through Forcat 10 years ago when we went to S'Algar, a long road with many shops with 'inflatables' hung outside and lots of cafes with bouncy castles, it looked like the ideal resort for those with little ones between 5 and 10 but not suitable for us as we like a beach and scenery.

Embarrassed to say I think we were completely lost and trying to find Citudella,

I will check out retacarsalgar detorrifan. The villaplus villa is a bit ugly/modern from the outside but nice on the inside and has everything we need, but pool seems to be overlooked by a small apartment block, I will try and put up a link to it with photos incase anyone knows what apartments they are and if then I can read the reviews to see if they are loud or quiet.

I'm sorry I sound so fussy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Plus Security Deposit, would like people's opinions

…villaplus.com/menorca/…PhotosTab

Hope I have done that correctly

Apartments are in photos 5,8,13,17,22 and 25. I am beginning to think they are too close :-(

Edited: 24 March 2014, 12:57