We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental contract

France
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Rental contract

Hello all,

I hope you can help clarify some thing.

Until now the home owners I had dealt with sent the contract via email; I would then read it, transfer the deposit and receive the paper-contract via postal service.

Yesterday a home owner ask for the deposit before she would send the contract!

Is this how it's done on the island?

Even though I intend to call before making a bank transfer, just hate to see my money, and energy go through the window.

Thank you for your help!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental contract

When we have rented an apartment (and we have rented quite a number) we have normally had the contract first and then sent a deposit. Many of them we have paid the balance on arrival. If you are unsure about anything see if you can pay by CC or Paypal. I always try to build a rapport with the owner before we part with any money and I would not rent from someone who does not have a landline telephone number.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental contract

I agree - it sounds a bit iffy to me. Why would someone pay a deposit before seeing the T&Cs of what they are committing themselves to ? I would phone them and try and find out more

Edited: 02 April 2014, 16:08
France
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental contract

Thank you hermanaeriza and Menorca Regualr.

I thought the same too, and so asked the owner to send the contract via email so I can read it before transferring the deposit payment. Must be iffy as she told me I had until tomorrow 11AM to send the proof of transfer...!

I bowed out; especially I don't accept "ultimatums" ....!

That said, the "holidaylettings..." web site offers "payment protection" without even sending a contract first.

Some where on the second page, right before one clicks to pay, there's a line about the "owner's cancellation policy"!

BTW, what do you think about Na Macaret? I wanted to stay in the South, but fell in love with a house in the Na M. area. As it is a small fishing village, it must be quiet; but is it nice?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental contract

If you look at the top of the forum there is a space called search and I put Na Macaret in it and it brought up three pages of threads you could read. Maybe you could try that incase no one sees this it might give you a view on if you would like it there ?

France
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental contract

Tilley2013,

I did! Not much info from those pages though.

Na M. was just mentioned, briefly; no detailed info!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental contract

Don't have time to post up much but have you seen http://www.mymenorca.info/na-macaret/ ?

France
Level Contributor
208 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental contract

Hello MenorcaRegular,

I did not see your post until this morning.

Many thanks! Once again, you've come to rescue; the link you sent is a wealth of information. Am using it to gather information about other locations on the island.

Kind regards

8. Re: Rental contract

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16