We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Brighton, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

I am looking to take my parents to Menorca in September for a week and wondered if anyone can help me out in finding a hotel. My father has Parkinsons Disease and sometimes his mobility is not very good and may need a wheelchair. Other days he walks well with sticks or a frame. I am looking for a relatively small and quiet hotel. I do not want to be in the centre of a busy resort but somewhere where we may not need to use a car. Any ideas?

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
378 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Perhaps one of the country house/boutique hotels might suit. There is a link in top questions to the right, but I've always fancied the look of this place, not far from Mahon -

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1068634-d661…

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

I agree with Hodghegs if the budget permits. Be careful with some of the boutique hotels though as the ones in Mahon do not have lifts (e.g. Casa Alberti and San Manuel) but staircases. Some rural ones such as Biniarroca might be suitable, Llucmacanes Gran would not be, Binissaida might be depending on room. Other possibilities might be a hotel such as Hotel S'Algar, very small resort but you would need to use lift to access dining room. If you see any other hotels that you like the look of post again and as I have visited a great many of them and also stayed in quite a few over the years I should be able to give you more advice. A lot would depend on how important a beach location is to you.

You would be very isolated in most rural hotels without a car.

Brighton, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Thankyou very much for your response. I have had a look at matchani gran and I agree it looks lovely. Not sure if it may be above budget but pplanning to discuss with mum this weekend. Hotel S'Algar was one that was possibly on my shortlist. I have also seen another couple of small hotel Hotel Xuray in Cala cala Alcaufar and Hotel Del Almirante in Es Castell. Both look small. Do you know either of these? Thankyou again for your help.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Have stayed at the Xuroy, it is a little more basic but right on the beach. If you have issues with steps it might not be the right place. I did think of suggesting the Almirante as the rooms which are around the pool and not in the main building itself might be suitable for you.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,274 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

In case all the other option suggested do not work out , the Sol Menorca in Santo Tomas is a larger hotel ( which I know you were not particularly looking for) but it is adults only and is very calm and peaceful . The resort itself is not large but the area in the immediate surroundings of the hotel is flat and there is a disabled access ramp down onto the sand at some points along the paved beachside walkway. In the hotel itself all the bedrooms have lift access and there are ramps in the public areas. I do not know if they have specific disability friendly rooms but those in the ordinary rooms now have large walk in showers rather than a bath and unless my memory is playing tricks with me I am sure I saw a disabled hoist by the edge of the swimming pool when I stayed there last July.

There is a direct bus route from the resort into both Mahon and Ciutadella which you can also use to get to the nearest " proper" town Es Migorn which is a pretty little place with a good selection of places and of course there are taxis..

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Late rooms have a list of hotels suitable for disabled people

laterooms.com/en/…

Edited: 09 May 2014, 10:10
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

I'd suggest El Almirante ( Son Vilar ) , great location , lots of character( pool side rooms have no steps? ) Bus stop right outside , buses every 30 mins

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

I'm with MenReg in this one. When I saw the OP I thought of Santo T straight away.

JtheD

Brighton, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

Thankyou all for your replies. I now have brochures, laptop and phone in front of me to make enquiries etc. seeing mum and dad tomorrow so hopefully we can make a decision. I will report back with choice. Thankyou

10. Re: Accommodation suitable with Parkinsons Disease

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Menorca
Recent Conversations