We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing a split holiday

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Doing a split holiday

Hi guys

Never been to Menorca , although have been to Majorca many times and Ibiza a couple many years ago.

we are arriving on July 1st (without our 16 year old for a change) and doing 4 days in Cala Galdana at the Audax and 3 days at Es Castell at the Barcelo Hamilton. We are a couple in early 50's but very youthful, like nice restaurants, nice harbour, a nice hotel and just pottering, a bit of beach , a bit of sightseeing. I researched this carefully and this looked a good combination to me-hope it is! Any lovely foodie recommendations in Es Castell or Cala Galdana (we like tapas, good fish etc) with nice terraces? Also which of the coves from Cala Galdana do people like the most (if not Cala Galdana beach) I do like a beach bar ideally or at least somewhere to get a drink! and hubby really likes snorkelling! I am aware Es Castell hasnt got a beach , so thats going to be more pool and Mahon (any lovely lunch recommendations in Mahon) We dont drive so getting a cab Cala Galdana and hopefully after that should be able to cope with bus and odd taxis.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing a split holiday

Not the most picturesque of restaurants in Es Castell but food is superb and so is the reception you will get from Aurelia at Bar La Bahia. Lots of places for standard tapas at Cala Fonts.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing a split holiday

Thanks for that--more bothered about nice food and nice vibe. Sometimes the picturesque places dont have to make so much effort.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing a split holiday

You will enjoy the beach at Galdana and have all the facilities you want but take a drink with you and walk to Cala Mitjana and little Mitjaneta. I love it there and it has been used as a film set. There is some shade to be found if you need it. My best advice if hubby likes a bit of snorkelling and you want to see the very best beaches in Menorca with drinks handy, is to go for a couple of hours with Nano in his catamaran from Galdana - absolutely magical and top of my list any day of the week. He has masks and goggles and takes you to places usually only the most privileged get to see. See the website www.menorcaenbarco.com for phone number and details and read the reviews!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing a split holiday

Thanks for that. Funnily enough I read about that trip on another thread and had it on the list! We do like boat trips and although I myself dont snorkel, I love a nice boat trip. Last few years we have been to Greek island (Hydra--very lovely and car free) and I guess I like that kind of vibe really but we are moving house the week before and hence wanted to fly from Bristol and a short flight and they dont have flights to Athens. The flights to Menorca were really reasonable and not too horrific on the flight times, whereas the ones to Ibiza were terrible flight times and Im not actually that keen on any of the resorts there and as we dont drive, inland wasnt a possibility and I ruled out Italy as last time we went it was totally heaving and expensive just to set foot on rather a nasty beach.

5. Re: Doing a split holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Menorca