We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

I have just been informed by my rental provider that the villa we are staying in next (which has Satellite/Freeview TV) can no long show any channels due to the Satellite over Menorca being moved. Info I received below - but does anyone know if the bars will be showing the football for my husband and the tennis for me??

TV CHANNELS MENORCA

Please note that there have been changes made to Satellite TV in Menorca. This covers the whole island and affects every property which had a dish and Sky TV. This is obviously out with the control of the property managers and owners but we wanted to let guests know prior to their holiday.

The satellite has been moved out of range in Menorca so it is now not possible to receive free to view TV. If the owner has a sky dish they can still receive (free) Sky news plus those listed on the attachment which we have been advised of but it is not confirmed. If your owner subscribes to Sky then they will still get the Sky channels they pay for but not BBC or ITV etc.

This has caused great confusion and upset in Menorca and few people seem to know what is happening. Information is limited and most property agents are unaware as to why this happened. The fact is it has happened and it is causing problems. We do know that the only way for owners to get a new dish going forwards is very cost prohibitive and the dish is apparently enormous and there are rules about it being secured in a concrete pillar. Equally expensive would be wi-fi and streaming TV to the property.

Given the infrastructure in Menorca it is unlikely that even if they could afford it that many affected owners could get replacement systems in place for this summer. Much depends on what was actually at the property in the first instance as to what channels are currently being received.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

A forum from Feb tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k72…

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

All the expat forums for Spain are full of this issue, a larger dish is no guarantee that you will be able to recieve the channels received in the past.

Unsure why there is confusion the footprint of the satalitte has been reduced as BBC Channels were not supposed to be available outside of the UK as you need to pay for a UK TV licence to both view BBC programes thus funding further programmes, so in effect they were being pirated.

Sky is also not legally available the UK you need a UK post code ton subscribe. People obtain it by taking a sky card out to whereever and hideing their IP address.

Recently returned from a Spanish Island and the only TV available was Spanish TV, which wasn't really a problem for us.

Bars are probably live streaming from the internet, which comes with it's own problems.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
652 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

Which resort are you travelling to and with what company are you travelling with?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

Afraid this is 'old news' , something I have mentioned on several posts to 'Corrie crack addicts'.

...get a few Menorca ex pats in a room and they gush on about how they will maintain contact with the mother land :-)

Tilley's description above is correct.

BUT there are 25+ Digital terrestrial channels on Menorca 10 of which carry uk and American content which you can listen to the original language on via the audio settings. In particular children's programming eg Disney Chanel , Boing! to name two of the top of my head

Ps even before the changes reception after 5pm used to slowly disappear anyway so its not new. Yes agree accommodation owners should be removing this from descriptions by now

Edited: 19 June 2014, 14:24
London
Level Contributor
36 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

Thanks for all your updates, it is certainly not the end of the world, as don't go on holiday to Menorca to watch TV! Just handy to know a bit more background info on the subject, and was only told today after booking a villa with Satellite TV in January. Nevermind, one of those things, I would rather look out to sea and watch the sunset anyway!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

Property owners - Nigel and Michael Taylor are the experts 971151567.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

I keep seeing places offering Sky Sport coverage in their bars so you should be OK. Also , I am not sure what their subscription is ( I think it may be cable) but the apartment complex I am staying in at the moment provides several english speaking channels

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

I think one of the confusing aspects for people that hire villas, apartments is that they are described as receiving satellite tv, and that can just be Spanish satellite TV so technically speaking the description on websites and in brochures is correct and they may not need to alter it.

We have what looks like a massive plasma TV in the villa we are going to in Minorca and although we don't tend to watch much tv on holiday it will be interesting to check out what we do get.

If you are a sports fan, provided you are not too bothered about understanding the commentary/pundits you can get away with watching it in Spanish if needs be, doesn't really spoil the enjoyment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

I think one of the confusing aspects for people that hire villas, apartments is that they are described as receiving satellite tv, and that can just be Spanish satellite TV so technically speaking the description on websites and in brochures is correct and they may not need to alter it.

We have what looks like a massive plasma TV in the villa we are going to in Minorca and although we don't tend to watch much tv on holiday it will be interesting to check out what we do get.

If you are a sports fan, provided you are not too bothered about understanding the commentary/pundits you can get away with watching it in Spanish if needs be, doesn't really spoil the enjoyment.

10. Re: TV Channels/Free View no longer available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:17