We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

northern ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

Hi I'm planning a holiday next June. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 2 and 5. This will be first time to menorca and I'm trying to decide where to stay. At the minute it is between Son Bou or Cala Galdanna. Opinions greatly welcome to help me decide which would be the better of the two for our family. I like so where with restaurants and a few shops etc. not too quiet but not too busy either.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Son Bou
Son Bou
Menorca, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

Both very good resorts with young children and both "not too quiet but not too busy" in June.

Here's a couple of guides that might help you decide.

Son Bou guide - http://www.mymenorca.info/son-bou/

Cala Galdana guide - http://www.mymenorca.info/cala-galdana/

Mentioned in this post
Son Bou
Son Bou
Menorca, Spain
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,006 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

We, being myself, wife and 2 kids aged 8 & 10, we to Cala n Forcat last July and are going to son bou this august. I'll compare and let you know

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

You could consider Santo Thomas. The Victoria Playa is great for small children

Berkshire
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

Son Bou. It's perfect. Lovely little bouncy castle area by the beach in the evenings with small rides etc. club San jaime for a disco and child friendly environment. Lots of pools if you stay self catering or look at Royal Son Bou Family Hotel if you like more clubs and entertainment. This is only my opinion but the water at son bou beach seems much clearer and the beach a tiny bit quieter and you can walk along as little or as long as you want.

Mentioned in this post
Son Bou
Son Bou
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,893 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

Both resorts are nice. In June neither resort will be overly busy but Cala Galdana will probably be the busier of the two. Re ashtonian's suggestion about Santo Tomas, that is a quieter resort than either of the two you have shortlisted but IMO is a nice base provided you understand that there is very little going on there outside of the hotels .

If having done more research you decide that you like the look of Santo T as well as the other places you are considering, the main options for a family package in Santo T are the Victoria Playa ( mentioned in post 3 - a Thomson family hotel ) or the Mestral & Llebeig Apartment complex which are available through First Choice and Thomson and which some prefer to the traditional hotel style accommodation as you get considerably more space in an apartment ie separate bedrooms, living area (2 bathrooms in a 2 bed apt) ,a fully fitted kitchen area as well as a large balcony with seating outside - you can book these for self catering or as All Incl ( see First Choice & Thomson). Interestingly if you book M&L on a self catering basis you can upgrade to an All Incl package direct with the management when you arrive for what I believe works out less than booking All Incl with First Choice in the first place - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g659667-i15723-k…

Edited: 23 July 2014, 20:39
Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,006 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Santo Tomas
Santo Tomas
Menorca, Spain
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

Son Bou everytime! have been to both and Son Bou is where we return time after time now but that said the whole island is fabulous. My whole family would move there in a heartbeat. Son Bou has all you need supermarkets, shops, restuarants, beach, bus service, pharmacy its lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Son Bou
Son Bou
Menorca, Spain
7. Re: Son Bou or Cala Galdanna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:15