We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card use/paying

C3i
Cheshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card use/paying

Just sorting out funds for spending while we are in Menorca next month. Have just got the Halifax Clarity card but wondered what payment restaurants and such prefer - will a credit card be acceptable in most places or is people's experience that cash is better? (Obviously we will be taking some cash!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card use/paying

I think most businesses prefer cash but a credit card will be accepted in most if not all places in Menorca.

According to Martin lewis the Halifax Clarity card is the best card to use for overseas spending. moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Widnes
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card use/paying

We used our credit card last year every night to pay for our evening meal with no problems. There was only one place where we had lunch which had a sign up saying they only accepted cash. Saw people paying by card in the supermarkets too so you should have no problems. Just remember to ask for your payment to be in Euros. Have a great holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card use/paying

We use credit cards to pay for evening meals all the time. Did the last time in Minorca and will in the forthcoming holiday, apart from maybe the last night if we have a surfeit of Euros as will want to use them up.

Not a fan of currency cards, if the issuer goes bust between between you loading it and spending it all your money is lost, there is no Financial Protection whatsoever on Forex cards. I guess it's a chance people take for the convenience.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card use/paying

You have a good card and should have no problem using it. Advantage of travel card is you can use it for small purchases and as it is loaded in euros you always know the rate. Use mine all the time. Also if you want to encash surplus you get the rate back you paid, not so with cash.

C3i
Cheshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card use/paying

Thanks very much!

6. Re: Credit card use/paying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:16