We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, please?

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay, please?

Hello there,

Partner and self are looking to go to Menorca for first week in September, and are looking for a 3 to 4 star hotel close to a beach (no steps!), with bars and restaurants - but not necessarily buzzing nightlife - within strolling distance. Not hugely far from the airport, also - am I expecting too much?! I have looked and looked at various airline holiday package and local tourist information sites and am getting more confused as I go on!

It will be our first visit to what I understand is a superb destination, and I would be very grateful for advice/suggestions direct from the horses' mouths.

Many thanks in advance,

Jilona

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay, please?

The first hotel which comes to mind is the Xaloc at Punta Prima where you have a beach and your other requirements and if you request ground floor will have no steps to contend with. Also Punta Prima is close to the airport and has regular easy access buses. It may not have the most beautiful beach but Cala Galdana and the Audax and Sol Gavilanes both have steps.

How do you cope with slopes?

Do you like small or large hotels?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Prima
Punta Prima
Menorca, Spain
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,002 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay, please?

Hello and thank you for your reply.

We cope with steps well, but not hundreds from hotel to beach. And slopes are fine!

Small or large hotel are both fine also.

Thank you!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay, please?

The only resort with lots of steps to the beach that is within the " Not hugely far from the airport" area you asked about is Cala N'Porter ( the resort is at the top of the cliff - which does however mean that you have great views out across the sea) so if you avoid that you should be fine.

Cala Galdana has a glorious beach but is not that close to the airport and as stated in post 1 is a resort that is hilly in places (although the Sol is built into the cliff face it has a lift down to beach level but the walk out from reception down to the main area is hilly and the Audax is low down in the resort itself but has a few steps down to access the beach itself which I think that this would only be a problem if you have serious mobility issues). If you check out the Top Question section of the forum ( see right-hand side) you should be able to find info which would enable you to check out all the resorts on the south east coast including Punta Prima

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,002 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Punta Prima
Punta Prima
Menorca, Spain
Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay, please?

Thanks to you both for taking time to give excellent suggestions. Now to research them!

All the best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay, please?

"Cala en porter which does however mean that you have great views out across the sea" surely you meant from some of the villa accommodation? From Hotels there are great sea views!

Most hotels were not allowed to be built next to the beach so the few there are were built before mid 70s . Close to airport should not be an issue as transfers on menorca are quick ( little traffic etc etc )

What's your ages/taste?

Edited: 05 August 2014, 10:01
Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay, please?

You have mail.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay, please?

We are young at heart late forties/early fifties. Enjoy traditional culture, good food and wine!

isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay, please?

i, I would like a bit of info on the island generally if you could please. We are thinking of going in early October. We are late 50's but like a good hotel, nice beach but bars and restaurants around within short walking distance so you can get out of the hotel sometimes. Could you recommend a couple of resorts that might suit us?

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay, please?

That wishlist is kind of so so generic . Did you check out the websites already listed to narrow it down-Menorca is quite different from many locations?

"so you can get out of the hotel sometimes" do you want to spend so much time on site?

Do you want culture or what to visit outside hotel?

Edited: 10 August 2014, 13:59
Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
isles of scilly
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay, please?

Thanks for your reply. we would get a car so drive to culture sites during the day. Don't want to be restricted to hotel at night (as happens when some are quite remote). Also, couple of days may want to get out and stroll around or get short bus ride to a little harbour or something.