We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary problems?

lancashire
Level Contributor
240 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary problems?

Hi,

I only have car hire for two days and Im based in Cala n bosch with two youg kids so was thinking of the following:

Day 1) Calan Bosch--Fornells--Es Grau--Mahon--Bosch

Day 2) Bosch--Binibequer--Calan porter--Son Bou--Cala Galdana--Bosch

I like to see as much as I can but without doing hours of driving with the kids.

My questions are:

Is there anywhere Ive mentioned thats not worth the drive too?

Also would you do Es Grau or Es Castell?

Thanks

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
378 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary problems?

For kids, the beach at Es Grau is really good and as it is off the beaten tourist track, is very much real Menorca. There's a little beach bar too, all very relaxed. Es Castell is more for a drink/wander by the harbour place, so perhaps a bit more one for adults.

I think all the places you are planning to visit are worth a trip for the beaches, though personally I was disappointed in Binibequer, but I think that's just because I knew it was only pretending to be authentic - you are going to Fornells so may want to cross off the pale imitation that is Binibequer Vell. It's mostly just villas in the surrounding area.

Have you considered one of the lighthouses? Favaritx is especially of interest to my son, hunting for fossils in the slate and a lunar type landscape. Great photo opportunities. It is also on the way from Fornells to Es Grau.

Monte Toro is worth the trip up, if you are driving past Es Mercadal, as the views from the top take in the whole Island.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 15:58
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary problems?

I second Monte Toro - you drive right past the road leading up to it on the way to Fornells on your day one route and the views from up there are brilliant. Like hedghegs I personally wouldn't bother with detouring off to Binibeca either - it is pretty enough for sure, but at the end of the day is only a 1970s development of tourist accommodation designed to look like an old Menorcan fishing village and if you are going to Es Grau you will see a real fishing village one not a pretend one :-) The lighthouse idea is good too ( it is all on its own on a piece of wild and windswept coastline with crashing waves etc.) although there is the less atmospheric Cap De Artruix lighthouse near Bosch itself that you could walk to on another day when you did not have the car(http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187465-d3733803-Reviews-Faro_Cap_d_Artruix-Ciutadella_Minorca_Balearic_Islands.html )

Es Castell is as stated - a lovely place to eat, drink and promenade or look out over the harbour but there is not much for children although if you included a stop at the nearby Fort Marlbourgh it might work

Depending on the ages of your children and the type of thing you like to vist as a family, you might want to consider a visit to one of the unique stone age sites like Torrabla den Salord or Torres Den Galmes (see tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g642211-… and tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187464-… ) or possibly the zoological park Lloc De Menorca (on the main road back from Mahon towards Alaior) might be suited to a family sightseeing outing if you have little ones

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary problems?

What's the goal of the hire visit beaches or ?

I'd also say small children would prefer Es Grau to Es Castell - you will also see the real Menorca and big beach 5 times the size of Bosch Playa and not a hotel in sight :-)

Edited: 20 August 2014, 18:00
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary problems?

I'll be as brief as poss. Yes to Es Grau, no to Es castell and yes to Fornells for reasons stated. Defo do Toro, not to be missed, and maybe add a different resort beach for an hour or 2 in the midlle of a days driving - galdana is prob a good bet given your base in Bosch.

My brother who also takes his young children to the island regularly always says the Castle / wigwam place between Cuitadella and Fererias is worh a visit, it's free entry if you buy a drink and has kids playground, paddling pools, cafe bar and more open in high season. Worth a look and a bit more about it than the zoo outside Alaior

Hope that helps

JtheD

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary problems?

I'll be as brief as poss. Yes to Es Grau, no to Es castell and yes to Fornells for reasons stated. Defo do Toro, not to be missed, and maybe add a different resort beach for an hour or 2 in the midlle of a days driving - galdana is prob a good bet given your base in Bosch.

My brother who also takes his young children to the island regularly always says the Castle / wigwam place between Cuitadella and Fererias is worh a visit, it's free entry if you buy a drink and has kids playground, paddling pools, cafe bar and more open in high season. Worth a look and a bit more about it than the zoo outside Alaior

Hope that helps

JtheD

lancashire
Level Contributor
240 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary problems?

Thanks for your ideas. My children are only 3 and 1 so they wont mind where we are. I just dont want them in the car all day. I'll add to my list Monte Toro on the way to Fornells and try Es Grau too. I prefer pretty places that we can walk with a pram as opposed to just nice beaches if that helps.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary problems?

Have been to all of the places above that have been recommended and they are all great. There is a fantastic tapas bar in es grau

But if you want a nice walk with toddler and a pram then my favourite spot in whole of Menorca is es castell.

It's great for lunch or dinner.

We always enjoy a boat trip of the harbour from there or Mahon as well with commentary

I've heard it many times but still fascinating harbour and loads of interesting things to see and hear about.

There is actually a zoo as well on the island or was last time we visited that your 3 year old may enjoy. More like a petting farm than a zoo.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary problems?

If I had a choice between Mahon and es castell (they are close to each other) and was short of time - I would pick es castell. It's smaller and more picturesque.

The wigwam place would be better when the kids are older

Edited: 21 August 2014, 10:43
Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary problems?

The wigwam place is the expensive pottery shop - I forget the name but lots of free stuff for kids - trampolines, pool with slide, boats.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary problems?

Lladro porcelain is the name of the place with lots of great stuff for kids to do

It's next door to a great go kart track as well

Edited: 21 August 2014, 11:33
Get answers to your questions about Menorca