We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Hi there,

We're heading to Menorca next week, staying in Ciutadella for 5 nights. Neither of us drive, so we intend to get to the island's beaches by bus or taxi. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella (which look like the two nicest to us!) via bus or taxi, and roughly how much it would cost? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Cameron

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Hi, well first off there's no bus direct to either. You could get a taxi but it might cost a bit I'd guess at each way fares of approx 20 EUR to Turquetta and maybe 25 EUR to Macarella so double for the return trip. However neither will get you very close to the beach - expect about 20 mins walk from the car parks.

Bearing that in mind the cheapest option would be to get a bus to Cala Galdana, either direct or with a change in Fererias, and walk from there to Macarella. It's a 45 min stroll through pine woods on a clearly marked path.

JtheD

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

As an addition the old fella has come up with the idea that you could always hire bikes to get to either - I don't know cuitadella well enough to reco a bike hire firm but others may know.

Google maps gives a distance of 12 km from Cuitadella port to Turquetta, and I'd guess at 2 or 3 more to Macarella. The going is pretty flat with the only hill being down to the beach.

JtheD

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Thanks for that, JtheD. The bus to Galdana and walk sounds like a good plan. Do you happen to know if it's a flat walk? Also, would you be able to recommend any other good beaches that could be accessed by bus/bicycle from Ciutadella? Thanks in advance. We just want to be able to get the best out of the island's beaches but are limited by not having a car at our disposal!

Cameron

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

The walk to macarella to galdana is flat once you climb to the cliff top path, it doesn't take long and at the Macarella end there are steps down to the beach (about 200 of them if I remember right!) There's Galdana as well of course - regarded by many as the best resort beach on the island.

The bus that serves Galdana also stops at the top of the baranc that leads down to cala Mitjana. A 20 min downhill to the beach here, but if you're energetic you can take the path from Mitjana to Cala Trebalugar (45 mins each way) It's quite a short sharp climb to the cliff top and likewise down at Trebalugar but it's IMO the best unspoilt on the island and well worth the hour or so's walk from the bus stop. The less energetic can always take the boat trip here which departs twice a day from Cal'n Bosch

Other beaches? Well Algairans would be good to do by bike from Cuitadella - on the north coast - take the road towards cala Morel. Another flat route only 10km from Cuitadella.

You can also take the west coast bus service to the resort beaches of Cala Blanca, Santandria,. Sa Caleta and Caln'n Bosch to the south. The beaches around Blanes / Forcat etc to the North of Cuitadella are quite small in comparison and not worth the effort IMO

Cuitadella - Fererias - Galdana bus times here:

tmsa.es/Fotos/…HORARIPUBLICDESTIU2011.pdf

West coast bus times here: (flash site so link to timetable on left of page)

http://www.e-torres.net/ingles/index.htm

JtheD

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Great info from JTD

.... just remember to take a lot of water along with you. I hope you get to one of the virgin beaches then you'll realise what a gem Menorca is.

only thing to add is bike hire from velos joan

www velosjoan com just off the Placa des Born(East sde ) If I rember correctlu

Edited: 06 June 2011, 19:01
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Hi

We went to Macarella, quite an interesting drive on very narrow lanes!!

But it was so worth the drive and walk down to the beach. Absolutely stunning and so peaceful away from the resort beaches.

However you do it, just make sure you get there!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

Nice one from MIB - was sure you'd know a bike hire co. Would you concur that the ride by bike to any of those proposed is not too strenuous? I cycle a fair bit and am told that I'm sometimes "over optimistic" in what other less frequent cyclists might conceive to be a "leisure ride" - (I do like my hills!)

JtheD

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

JTD

optimistic? , possibly....

Like you I'd do the ride (though a lot slower i'm sure -im late 40s )

Algariens -last stretch might be tiring at the end of day as it is rough track uphill through the forest-But for me its' worth it as there is nothing like it. Issue is heat if not used to it?

Others are easier but further cycling distance from Ciutadella. Another option is bus to Son Xoriguer(Cala en bosch bus ) then coastal walk to Son Saura (though earlier or later in day to avoid boat trip visitors)

9. Re: Bus/Taxi to Cala Turquetta or Cala Macarella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Ciutadella