We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Level Contributor
149 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First timers

We are seriously considering Menorca and in particular Cala Blanca hotel in Ciudadella at either the start or end of the 2103 season.

I have done me readin'-up and all seems tickety-boo, but no one seems to mention car hire? Is there no need? Also can you hire a boat to do your own look-see?

Wot's the airport like?

And finally..........does anyone have any negatives?

Thanks y'all

Level Contributor
420 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Car not needed, but always useful to have so you can see more of the beautiful island. It's very easy to drive in Menorca and easy to find your way around.

You can hire a small motor boat from Calan Bosch, and you can get to Calan Bosch easily by bus in about 20 mins. When I hired one year before last it was about 100€ for a half day on a boat for 4 people. You can take it down the west coast to all the beaches that are inaccessible by car. We loved it!

Airport is much better than some I've been through. Generally all OK, a few shops and food places but nothing major. Nice and chilled as no lager louts (that gets a big thumbs up from me).

I've not stayed at that hotel so go by the reviews, and anyone else that might join this thread that has stayed.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the island -it's stunning!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

I think sally means boat down south west coast....

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

Just a word about going to the island at either the very beginning or end of the season - at both ends vistor numbers drop quite a lot so as hotel occupancy reduces, bar owners sometimes decide to close early and not everywhere in the resorts may stay open until the end of October.The tail end of the season seemed to have been especailly difficult in a lot of resorts in October 2012 and reviews for some stays at that time seem to imply that catering standards and general service in all sorts of hotels dipped towards the end.

The upside of the quiet periods is however that car hire is cheaper and there is less frentic touristy activity but not everyone wants it quiet and although Cala Blanca isn't that far from Cuitadella proper, it isn't actually part of the town so you should take this into consideration in chosing when you go.

As stated already, the airport is new and compact but is not overflowing with shops - there is a Burger King and some other food /drink outlets, a shop to buy booze etc. and a couple of souvenir shops but nothing to get excited about, in fact I have found that that prices for perfumes are never as good there as you an find in the resorts or indeed in the UK airside shops.

Level Contributor
420 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

No problem though, when you hire the boat they shown you which direction to set off in so that even the most geographically challenged like myself know which way to go ;-)

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers

Don't know the hotel although have driven past many times and everyone appears to be having fun!

Cala Blanca is lovely with a great little beach. Lovely swimming and snorkelling. There are some nice bars but at the start and end of the season about 50% are closed. We went in October and loved it for being a bit quieter but as a first time visitor you may be underwhelmed.

Car hire not strictly essential. Ciutadella is 5k away and Calan Bosc 2k the other way. The local bus service is excellent and inexpensive although not so frequent early or late on.

I would say a definite yes to Cala Blanca but suggest later in May or early September.

Hope that helps.

6. Re: First timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Ciutadella
Recent Conversations