We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

We are booked to stay at the Blanc Palace Aug 2014 for 2 weeks All Inclusive. Having read a number of reviews about this place both on trip advisor and other sites I'm in the process of either trying to change accommodation or change destination......with there being 6 of us (2 adults and 4 kids) we are limited it seems to what hotels can accommodate all of us without paying extortionate under-occupancy charges for extra rooms and it would be our first holiday abroad and we would have to save hard all year. This place sounded ideal when we booked it at Thomas Cook but since then having read things about the food being awful, accommodation being less than basic, pools being a hazard for the kids, the sunbed situation sounds ridiculous, nothing in the resort in terms of shops/bars......?? Please can anyone who has been to this place recently tell me an honest review and if they stayed in the blanc cottages?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

"This place sounded ideal when we booked it at Thomas Cook "

...what was your ideal and what reasons were you thinking about Sa Caleta/ Menorca? Then we can better advise. 4 children is not easy in Hotels so have you considered Villas? ( perhaps not in Menorca which are more expensive than say Majorca etc ) )

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

Our ideal is just good clean accommodation, variety of food that keeps kids & adults happy, not having to set alarms for 6am just to get a sunbed....we have looked at villa options but working out more expensive & most we would need to hire a car to get places. We were advised by Thomas Cook that Sa Caleta was a family friendly resort with shops/bars/restaurants in tbe area but it sounds as though that isn't the case either. We don't want to be in the middle of a busy resort but somewhere to walk or look around with shops or bars/cafe would be nice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

Emma, I think you need to understand Menorca. The resorts even the biggest ( like Cala en bosch ) could be too quite for some. I know the area quite well, not the Hotel . It is a more a residential area immediately around the hotel ( where they built two hotels because of the beach ) . Within 2min of the hotel there are 3/4 bars, restaurant and indoor bowling. You can walk down the road outside the hotel to Playa Santandria where there are another 4/5 bars/restaurants- perhapss not enough for 2 Weeks....but

Within 5 min on Bus you are in Ciutadella city ( a nicer place on your doorstop you could not wish for )

Many Hotel bookers are unaware until after they book how small scale menorca is compared with other destinations

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

We know Menorca and know that it is a small island and it only takes around an hour & half to travel from one side to another. We aren't after loads of busy restaurants or cafe's and to be honest the resort is not our main issue its the hotel we are booked in to stay. This has had many bad reviews all in the last 2/3weeks, another holiday company dropped this hotel from its books before Thomas Cook took it on.....we did our homework before paying our deposit but since then people returning from their summer holidays this year haven't rated it very well. We aren't too worried about Sa Caleta as we know we aren't very far from anywhere else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

My only comment would be that people's expectations of what they are going to get for AI food are possibly way off- Tour operators are squeezing hotels to provide AI for impossible prices,. so corners maybe cut. You should send a Private message to the various reviewers on TA - they were not all bad reviews?

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:50
East Yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

Hi Emma, not sure if you have changed your holiday as obviously a fair while ago when you wrote this but I would like to tell you we booked to go there in August 2013 and then I read awful reviews I was so worried about arriving there as I had pictured an absolute dump! It's not though I can promise you that, yes it's a little tired and dated and I know there were issues with some of the rooms but our room was lovely and the food yes ok it can be a little repetitive but I think it can be anywhere if you're staying 2 weeks all incl. We had one of the best holidays ever, from our 14 year old down to our 15month old the kids loved it. The evening entertainment may not be brilliant for adults I grant you but the kids enjoyed it and to be honest if they're happy it makes my holiday, my partner and I were more than happy there too. The rooms were cleaned daily barring one day a week (I think this was Wednesdays) but even then when we needed fresh towels I just asked at reception and they brought to us. Like I say you may have already changed your plans but if not I hope you will find as we did that this place is actually quite nice and there is a good time to be had if you can just ignore the little niggles and the dated décor :) Also we enjoyed it so much that we are actually booking again for 2015 -would have gone this year only we couldn't afford it

Edited: 12 February 2014, 14:42
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

JulieT - obviously we have no way of knowing whether Emma H has already changed her booking at the moment but thank you for taking the time to post up about your experience in this hotel.

Hotels are squeezed fairly hard by tour operators and often have very small profit margins so the food they provide is never going to be that exciting and if people have an unrealistic expectation of what they are going to get in their All Incl deal that will naturally colour their view of their holiday.

It may be that you are already in the process of submitting a review of your holiday there but if not would you consider doing one please as this might give a bit more info to people who are considering going. I can find very little about the hotel on TA hotel review pages - perhaps most of the reviews Emma was looking at were elsewhere or simply posts about the place in forum discussions

Stirling, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

Hi

I'm also booked for the Blanc Palace for July 2014 and have been worried by the reviews - they make it sound like a real hell hole, particularly the food.. I appreciate different people have different views about hotels but taking a balanced view - they have not been great. However, up until about two weeks ago, there were hundreds of reviews for this hotel on trip advisor but recently, all of these have disappeared and there are only two Spanish reviews for this hotel - I don't know where they have all gone? I spoke to Thomas Cook and asked what star rating the hotel had recently achieved as it is listed in their brochure as "4 star expected", but so far they have been unable to tell me.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been to the Blanc Palace in the last year to see how they've got on. We're hoping for clean accommodation, reasonable food and lovely places to visit - not too much to ask for?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

That does seem strange. It is only an idea but is it possible that the hotel has changed hands ? I seem to remember reading somewhere that when that happens all the existing reviews are taken down.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked for 2 weeks AI to Blanc Palace, Sa Caleta....

'removed' reviews perhaps legal reasons?

Get answers to your questions about Ciutadella