We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island in October??

Ancaster, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which island in October??

Can anyone advise which island would be best to visit late October?? We want hot & sunny and no rain (we can dream LOL!) so which island would best fulfill this??

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island in October??

I would look at Gran Canaria , the south ...Maspalomas .... gets lots of sun and not a lot of rain ....

strawberryworld-grancanaria.org/grancanaria-…

S

glasgow
Level Contributor
418 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island in October??

Lanzarote, plenty of sun on this island.

3. Re: Which island in October??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2012, 13:04
Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island in October??

Hi Lynsey, I don't think any where Canaries or any other country can be guaranteed rain free. I would agree with Sylla About the South of Gran Canaria and I'll probably start world war 3 here, but I think Gran Canaria is a prettier Island and has more character than Tenerife (apart from the North of Tenerife) We have gone to Mainland Spain (which I prefer to all the Canaries) in October and had glorious weather and that is just a 2 hour flight . But I think when you've got children the most important thing to get right is your holiday "complex" as I know when our children were small they just wanted to stay at the pool with their friends and didn't really care where they were!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island in October??

I agree with you there ANTRIM ....Gran Canary is a most beautiful Island , I lived there for two years ,way back ....I find the North part really fantastic ....Infact last evening I was on Google street maps trying to locate a dear ladies house just outside the town of Teror, she was the cook where I lived and worked ( now she has sadly passed on) well she was in her 90's when I last visited her in the 1980's ...!

Have a go on street maps and you will understand ..

For beaches Gran Canary has lovely golden ones , and Fuerteventura ...and not half bad in Lanza aswell .If it is beaches you want ....

Sylla

Edited: 21 April 2012, 11:11
Ancaster, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island in October??

I've been looking at the weather averages and GC seems to have higher temps but more rain at 28mm over 7 days than say, Lanzarote which says average 22.5c and only 7mm rain over 4 days! I think Tenerife is out as it says average 21c and 41mm rain over 10 days. Fuerteventura says 22c but only 4mm rain!! Oh im so confused! I would of loved to go back to the Gran Oasis in Tenerife again :'( x

7. Re: Which island in October??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2012, 13:04
Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which island in October??

Hi again, I think if you all like the Gran Oasis just go for it. As I said you can't guarantee the weather anywhere and you should get good weather in October anyhow.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which island in October??

If you go to the webcams on the site I gave you ( they change every 5 minutes )

spain-grancanaria.com/uk/…panorama-01.html

You get an idea if it would suit ....

Personally because I knew Maspalomas and the south of the island before it was developed , (Which I just loved in those days ) I do not like it now ...except for San Agustin ....where our hotel was right on the beach , but we were the only English there ...all Germans ....

The North of Gran Canary still really nice ....And Las Palmas has the most fab beach ...

You also have to remember because of how the Islands are situated the weather varies from one area to another , so no weather forcast really fits ... ;-))

Sylla

Ancaster, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which island in October??

For some reason the Gran Oasis is only coming up as 11 night stays and price is way to expensive!!! Its not showing at all on first choice or thomson (cant remember which) yet it was with every tour operater when we booked the easter hol! The cost is lot more than the hol we just had in the easter hols! I did a quote for August with was a lot cheaper than the quoted October price! Maybe the prices may come down nearer the time? Or is it cos it's half term??