We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island would suit me the best ?

Essex, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Which island would suit me the best ?

We are hoping to book a long weekend away mid/late November. My parents have offered to babysit so just me and hubby, both in our 40's.

We like lots of shops and bars to walk around, can walk all day sometimes, maybe a boat trip and a bit of sightseeing.

The sort of resorts we like are Palmanova, Benalmadena, Costa Adeje, busy but not to noisy.

We have decided on the Canaries as want a bit of sun, but can't decide which island. The flights to Tenerife and Gran Canaria don't really work for us so its between Lanzarote and Fuertevetura. Which island and which resort would be best for us or would they booth be too quiet?

Essex, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

Can anyone help?

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
863 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

I haven't been to Fuerteventura but I don't think there's a lot there apart from beaches. Lanzarote has more variety, with several decent sized resorts around the coast, and some interesting places to visit inland.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

Fuerteventura is a lovely island and Corralejo wouldn't be too quiet for you. We stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it however Lanzarote would get my vote. We always stay in Costa Teguise where there isn't much in the way of shopping (just souvenir type shops). I believe there are some shopping areas in other resorts but we don't do much shopping when in Lanzarote.

Definitely plenty of sightseeing in Lanzarote with Timanfaya National Park being the most popular. Have a look at Last Minute which offer several tours/trips around Lanzarote.

lastminute-transfer.com/lastminute_trip.asp

Essex, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

Thank you for the replies.

I have now booked flights to Lanzarote, now we just have to decide where to stay. We usually stay in hotels, either half board or all inclusive, but from what I've read it look like we might be better going self catering.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

I'm sure self-catering in one of the three major resorts in Lanzarote will suit you. There are plenty of cafés and restaurants for every budget so it's more interesting than having to eat in the same place every day.

Just for the record, I'd like to add that Corralejo, in the north of Fuerteventura, would also have been very suitable. Fuerteventura is big and sparsely populated, with fabulous beaches, but that doesn't mean Corralejo isn't rocking of an evening! :) There are loads of bars, tens of which have live music regularly, discos, sports of bars, karaoke... There's a quieter ambiance than you get in some bigger resorts, so most places close by about 2am, with just a few catering to the all-nighters. But from 9-12 it's really buzzing!

Enjoy your weekend!

6. Re: Which island would suit me the best ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:17