We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cockroach free hotel

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
117 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
cockroach free hotel

Hi all travelled to Tenerife about 10 years ago and had to move rooms because of cockroaches ah!!!.Put us off the canaries.Looking for a week in the sun and the only place seems to be the canary islands but the thought of these little blighters crawling around my room freaks me out.Looking for a good hotel and resort anywhere cockroach free if that's possible.

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cockroach free hotel

Hi

All hotels are cockroach free......absolutely no charge for the little blighters sharing with you at all.......seriously any where in the Canaries you are never more than a footstep away from them......but they are more frightened of you than you are of them....most hotels are regularly fumigated against them and you may only see one or two elsewhere........but you have to remember you are visiting sub-tropical island and they have been here thousands of years before us (and will be around thousands of years after us too).......I would offer that nowhere is absolutely cockroach-free but most places do their best to keep them under control.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,876 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cockroach free hotel

Lanzalocal is right. If you go to a sub tropical climate you have expect to have cockroaches. I have a phobia of lizards, but it doesn't stop me going on holiday. I know they are there, but just don't look for them.

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
117 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cockroach free hotel

Thanks for the replies.Whilst I appreciate they inhabit most places I do not want to share my bedroom with them.That is why I asked for reviews of hotels where they have been relatively free of them in the rooms.They can happily crawl around the outside areas but Im fussy who I share my bedroom with.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,876 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cockroach free hotel

Many years ago I was staying in a 4 star hotel in Delhi, India. In the middle of the night I suddenly woke up by something crawling on my face, a cockroach. I don't mind them, but didn't want to sleep with them.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cockroach free hotel

neuville, every hotel will suffer from them, there's near enough an equal chance of you finding one in your room in every hotel.

If you're that worried, go to a high rise hotel, and ask for a high floor. Less likely to get them right up high.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cockroach free hotel

It would be well-nigh impossible to guarantee anything as they are endemic. However, any hotel that scores well in the reviews will be bound to have a good spraying programme. The only time you'd be likely to experience problems is if the spraying is about to be redone - but I doubt that hotels would wish to discuss that detail with you.

Sprays and programmes have improved vastly over the last 10 years so I'm sure there are fewer problems nowadays within hotel complexes, although there are as many cockroaches on the island.

Please note that evidence of cockroaches is a sign that the spray is no longer keeping them at bay; it says absolutely nothing about whether a hotel is clean or dirty. In the residential areas, the councils have to spray communal areas regularly, and so does every householder. Cans of special spray are freely available: look for the word "cucaracha" and spray the surfaces around all entrances. Any that manage to cross will end up on their backs for removal by hotel staff (unless you prefer to stamp on them yourself :)).

In my opinion, it would be a shame to come to the Canaries and stay in a high-rise hotel. Here on Fuerteventura the low-level hotels that have a good reputation to maintain have very few complaints about cockroaches. Not so for the few cheap-and-nasty ones.

7. Re: cockroach free hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:16