We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is my perfect destination

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
What is my perfect destination

I am planning a trip to the Canary Islands in October. I have a lot of criteria and I wondered if people could give me some advice

This is for myself my sister and her 2 daughters ages 12 and 6

We want

Direct flights from Edinburgh

Half board with local food rather that British based

Small and quite spot, close to beaches and gardens, markets would be nice.

No need for hire car

We don't want entertainments or organised trips

We prefer to walk or bus to local interest

Avoid 18/30 style areas

Thanks for any tips

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is my perfect destination

Well, without knowing more about what you enjoy, I'd say that you'll enjoy it here, Corralejo on the northern tip of Fuerteventura.

Direct flights from Edinburgh: Ryanair twice weekly

Half board with local food rather that British based: Most of the hotels are aparthotels and I'd recommend self-catering. Hotel breakfasts are normally about 6€ which is at least twice as much as local bars and cafés; a tapa or two or a bocadillo (Spanish cooked-meal-in-a-bun) will be about 3€, or bread and local goat's cheese for a picnic lunch will be even less; and tens of restaurants of all cuisines will do a full meal from less than 10€ (sometimes with a glass of something included). You could try a different place every night. Just to give an example, there's one row of businesses that's Indian, Indian, Italian café, sushi bar, Italian, Scottish, British bar, bank (and I think one other café I've missed out). Elsewhere, there's just as wide a range, with loads of Spanish and Chinese places too. It's a very cosmopolitan place but there are some very "local" restaurants serving the local goat meat and fish along with Canarian specialities.

Small and quite spot, close to beaches and gardens, markets would be nice: The whole place is small and (apart from two high-rise hotels that broke planning laws) restricted to 3 levels. Being in a bay there are beaches everywhere, with the approach to the town being along nearly 20 km of UNESCO-listed dunes. Gardens - well, not so much of that as we're 100km from Western Sahara so it's very dry; but there are Canarian palms everywhere plus cacti and bougainvillea. El Campenario shopping centre hosts a great craft market twice weekly with everything made locally.

No need for hire car: A hire car is often advised (by myself included), but not because it's totally necessary. The town is really quite compact, but it's a 40-minute drive from the airport so transfers can be expensive, hence a hire car can be as cheap as a taxi and much faster than a shared transfer. Also, it's quite a large, very sparsely populated island, so although the bus service is great it doesn't cover everywhere.

We don't want entertainments or organised trips: The bigger hotels have rather tacky entertainment but the island is best suited to the more independent traveller. There aren't "themed evenings" and "theme parks' etc. Trips are mainly small-scale discovery excursions: boats, buggies, quads, bikes, jeeps, trikes... Evenings outside of the bigger hotels centre round small, family-run bars and restaurants, with lots of live music, although that has to stop at midnight (boo!!!). There's little in the way of "shows" and the drag acts etc that are popular elsewhere in the Canaries.

We prefer to walk or bus to local interest: The buses here are great if infrequent. N°8: Be sure to visit the lagoons to the north of El Cotillo, possibly stopping at both Villaverde and Lajares for a meal. N°6: the dunes beaches and the capital, Puerto del Rosario. A combination of N° 3 & 6 will get you here from the airport. All information here: www.maxoratabus.com/tiadhe/en/index.php . Walking around the bay is lovely, with watering holes and beaches to stop off at. Then there are those 15+ km of beaches southwards. Around to the north-west, there's an unmade coastal road all the way to El Cotillo, via Majanicho fishing village with its 10 km road to Lajares. There are also volcanoes to climb just about everywhere. Lobos island is just a short boat trip away and you can walk right round it and up its volcano.

Avoid 18/30 style areas: The island isn't suitable for them or stag/hen parties - they'd find it very tame. Most groups of youngsters are surfers who want a nice meal and a drink or few, but they have to be up early and clear-headed to catch the surf. Most bars wind down around 2am. There's one area, Atlantico Sol, with quite a few small discos, and Waikiki Bar on the beach has a 6am licence, but it really isn't the place for an all-nighter.

Does that appeal? I personally think it's a great place for everyone except all-out party-goers and older teenagers who are desperate to be just with their own age group. Some of the beaches are really safe, with loads of fishes; others are Atlantic surfing beaches and can be quite challenging (even dangerous in some places). All bars are totally child-friendly. I was listening to a heavy electric rock group last night, watching a group of (maybe) 5-year-olds dancing until about 11pm. Most bars will have things behind the bar to keep them amused if necessary (including video games in some).

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is my perfect destination

Thank you for such a full reply, it looks like a hit

3. Re: What is my perfect destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17