We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What must we do or see

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What must we do or see

Me & my hubbie have just booked a cheap break to Fuerteventura. Having never been before I need to know what we must see or do & what is not to be missed. Is it easy to get to others islands? How much does it cost & how long does it take? Is the sea calm? What food must we try?

Sorry so many questions!!!!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What must we do or see

There is a regular ferry from Corralejo to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote. Think the catamaran takes 20 minutes.

For prices & times, have a look at the following: -

fuerteventura.com/Ferry/ferry-lanzarote.shtml

For sightseeing visit Betancuria the former capital of the island which is built on the sides of an extinct volcano & visit those fantastic beaches. Have a good trip!

La Oliva, Spain
Level Contributor
117 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What must we do or see

Agree with welshtraveller. Must sees are the central mountains - Betancuria, Antigua, Pajara etc. - pretty villages, craft centres, museums, mountain viewpoints. And a walk in the Corralejo dunes is also a must.

You can do organised bus trips to Lanzarote for the day if you're staying in the north of Fuerte - or go over yourself on the ferry from Corralejo (35 mins or so) and hire a car in Lanzarote. You can see a lot there in a day. Around 60 EUR return for car +2 or less as foot passengers. All the other islands are really too far for day trips. But you can go to Lobos of course!

Food. Fish, fish, fish ... especially somewhere like Puerto de los Molinos or El Cotillo in a local restaurant. Try goat or rabbit if you can find them - perhaps a Canarian restaurant inland. Gofio - that's even harder to find on a restaurant menu. And of course the mojo sauce, red or green, with Canarian potatoes perhaps.

But really, Fuerte is all about the beaches!!! Have a great holiday.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What must we do or see

ok first question people should of asked is what resort are you staying in??? and can you or your hubby drive? if so do you plan on hireing a car? so lets find these answers out first if you dont mind

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What must we do or see

Thanks for the info

Welshtraveller - will definetely do the cat to Lanzarote as long as the sea is not too choppy!

Island-seeker0 - villages, mountains, dunes sounds good & 60 euros for car + 2 to lanzarote is a good price.

gazzer - We are staying at costa caleta - is that good??

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What must we do or see

Forgot to say - we definetely will be hiring a car or jeep as we always like to explore wherever we go!

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What must we do or see

ok costa caleta is a nice resort, ok places you must go to, check out flag beach its beautiful with big waves, also if you want a very good day out and if your hotel or appartmentdo day trips you must either take or go to the oasis park zoo thingy its the best day out ever that good ive planed and booked to go again next year,

it costs 44euro's each thats with coach from ur hotel, breakfast, than ur tour guide takes your round the park to all diffent shows like (parrot shows thay even use skates, a croc show, bird of pray show) than thay give you a buffet lunch in big resturant, than u get to see more of the park than thay take you on a camel ride and this is such an experience to do so funny, but if you like beaches try jandia there beach's are just like barbados BEAUTIFUL well i hope you have a good holiday

La Oliva, Spain
Level Contributor
117 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What must we do or see

Caleta's good from your point of view in that it's the most centrally-located resort on the island, so it's easier to make sightseeing excursions. It's just a shot hop up into the mountains. (Had you been down in the Jandia peninsula, good beaches but a LONG way to drive to get anywhee else.)

Caleta is usually seen as the 'family resort' on Fuerte. Not generally as buzzing as Corralejo in the north. It's low-rise and green with an excellent sheltered beach but some may find it all a bit artificial, ie. there's no 'old town', which Corralejo does have. There was nothing there other than a little fort/tower before the tourist development started.

For that reason, I'd recommend that, if you want to see the 'real' Fuerte, the wild, untouristy coast, you and your jeep have a trip to one of the little fishing villages like Molinos or Ajuy on the west coast, a look at some of the 'wilder' beaches, perhaps El Cotillo, and maybe also a wander round the centre of the island capital, Puerto del Rosario and down to the harbour there.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What must we do or see

Has already been said Calletta is predominantly a family resort handy for the airport and centrally located so good for touring but thats about it unless you are into golf or McDonalds.

I would def recommend you hire a jeep to tour Ferte as most of the best beaches and interesting sites are off the main roads. However you still need to take care as most insurance does not cover you off tarmac (I always found this strange in Ferte as there are loads of beaches etc down dirt tracks) The main roads however are very good and quiet but you will need a head for heights. Along with the other things mentioned I would recommend you take in the mountain top viewpoint just North of Betancuria fabulous views it used to be a restaurant but is now municplaly owned but you can get a drink and a snack.

Lanzarote is the only practical Island to visit unless you fly I would recommend you try and get on the full day excursion it takes in all the sites its a long day out but worth it we did it from Corra so it will be an even longer day from Calleta.

My website may give you a bit more insight as to places to visit

http://www.nickmacuk.talktalk.net/

england
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What must we do or see

me and boyfriend has been to coletta de fuste 3 times we love the place the beach is lovely hire loungers for 2 (9euro) and stay all day for the euros.you can go on coach trips to zoo or water park or even ferry to lanzarote for little euros.theres loads of restautants for lovely eating entertainment at peros music bar everynight and they all speak english the bars are great me and boyfriend want to work and live there shortly we absolutely like the place its very friendly.

10. Re: What must we do or see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 00:18