We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how windy is this island?

Gravelines, France
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
how windy is this island?

i see that this island is popular for wind surfers. we are not wind surfers and dont like a windy holiday. how windy is the south part of the island?

DUBLIN
Level Contributor
417 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how windy is this island?

very windy we were there for halloween and had to wear jackets at night time

Fuerteventura...
Level Contributor
837 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how windy is this island?

All islands are windy - even the Caribbean islands. The winds are predominant from NNE - see the attached page which will give you some information www.leisurezone.es/fuerteventura-weather.html

Its difficult to say which part of the island is more windy. Honestly I've travelled from one end to the other leaving it windy in the north to find it calm in the south, and vice versa as well! The World windsurfing slalom event takes place every July/Aug at Sotovento beach in Costa Calma, so I guess it must be windier there at that time of year.

The wind is certainly not unbearable and I wouldnt let it spoil your holiday - just be prepared to have your hair blown about a bit and relax, and enjoy!

devon uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how windy is this island?

personally if you really dont like windy places i wouldnt suggest going anywhere they advertise windsurfing ... having been to these places there is a wind and you do notice it - just my advice !

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how windy is this island?

How weather works is complicated, but basically it's windy at sea and so any island is exposed to winds - which normally come from a prevailing direction. This means most islands have a windy side and a sheltered side, but you can get occasional winds in the sheltered side and vice versa.

Islands stuck right in the middle of a large ocean (Canaries) are more windy than those sheltered by large land masses (Mediterrannean islands). Ignoring the chance of stormy weather if you really don't want wind choose a Greek or Balearic etc destination. If you need winter sun which Canaries are brilliant for avoid windsurfing resorts in Fuerteventura Costa Calma is the prime case. The north is a bit less windy but as someone else said that doesn't mean no wind ever. I have never been troubled by the wind there though - when in the towns or hotel/restaurant terraces you're sheltered. Take a cardigan at night and relax - the sun and sea will make up for it.

norwich england
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how windy is this island?

just got back from costa calma, lovely warm weather very windy but a warmish wind so no problems, if cloudy the wind may feel cool

sea great fresh but great

had a wonderful time

very quiet

6. Re: how windy is this island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 13:20