We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

uk
12 posts
Save Topic
Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

Was anybody on here involved? I was and am trying to find some of the others....

My party were on 3rd and 4th camels...

Kelly.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

can you tell us what happend? ive been on these twice

uk
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

We were on a camel ride going up to the top of a hill track and when it got to the top and started coming down the camels started to clash. There was a chain of camels all linked together. We were on the 3rd and 4th. We heard a scream from behind and saw the last 3 coming down sideways out of control, then in a chain reaction they all lost control and we went carering down this steep path towards a bend. All of the metal seats were clashing into us. Mums and kids were clinging to each other and then being dragged away from each other again. It was terrifying. It was completely out of control. I have never been so afraid. I was screaming so loud. After about 2 mins the men finally got some control. On the front camel were 2 little girls, and on the second thier mum and dad. The mum and dad jumped off and got their kids off. The men then started lifting people off, they didn't want to try to sit the camels down incase the freaked again. My nans leg was cut open. they then got my mum off, and were checking her over. I was sitting in the seat absolutely sobbing with fear and frozen solid. I literally could not move and was just crying that i wanted to get down. I was petrified that it might all start again. The little girls dad came over, ubstrapped me and got me down. Then everyone sttarted getting all of the kids off first, and then helping lifting every1 else off. Some people had injured legs and couldnt walk. We were still halfway up the track. They called for ambulances and every1 was taken to hospital. My nans cut is deep but she is ok. My mum is covered in black bruises. I have bruised ribs, legs and it has restarted an old hip problem. I just cannot believe it happened. The holiday company is trying to hush hush it, and are saying that not really their responsibilty, as although a thomson excursion, it occured at Oasis Park. I have had 3 panic attcks since in the middle of the night, after waking up from dreaming that its happening. I keep seeing flashbacks of a woman clinging to her baby who was loose on her lap, and the woman in front clinging to her daughters seat and screaming when it got whipped away from her. We were so lucky it wasnt worse. Needless to say i will never ride a camel again!!

I'm just trying to find some of the others involved to see how they are. I dont know if anything has been changed at the park, i am waiting to get a report from thomson.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

That is a really horrible experience, i am sorry that you had to endure it, it must have been awful for the children, i hope you have all, and are all recovering well, i would still look into getting some compensation though, tour operators will usually be happy for these kind of trips, until something goes wrong.

edinburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

Yes, my husband and I were on the front camels - it was absolutely awful and I really thought we were going to die!!

Fuerteventura...
Level Contributor
837 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

Hi there, I hope everyone affected recovers quickly it is not the normal kind of thing to happen on holiday and must have been an absolute nightmare for those concerned.

I have been in touch with Oasis Park and they state that this is the first accident that has happened in their 20 year history of doing camel safaris.

They state .... "It was the first incident in our 20 years practice of doing the safari. Now the camel keepers and guides are working even harder on guests safety. We are working with holiday companies, and they already have the report from us."

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

these camels are pretty scarey, last year when we went on them we got to the top of the mountain turned around an 1 of the men that walk with the camels was jokeing around and went to make the camel walk of the edge then turned!! what would of happend if that camel didnt want to turn at that time an walked right of that mountain?? there would of been about 9more camels behind it, been on them twice, we are going back to oasis park again this year an we have already said we wont be going on them as we dont feel there safe!!

edinburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

Exactly the same thing happened to us - making us think the camel was going over the edge and then not long after that as we were going back down the hill was when the incident happened - it was the most awful experience and I have the bruises to prove it! There should be some kind of warning about what could happen while on the camels - the fact that there is no warning at all and they just sit you in the chair and that is it - it really did spoil the last few days of my husband and I's holiday.

8. Re: Accident on Camels at Oasis Park 25/05/2009...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 05:44