We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

We are planning on a weeks holiday for 3 adults 5 kids to the Canaries in Feb. We found this best deal for us was to Fuerventura. We went to Lanzarote a couple of years ago and didn't like it much. Most of the resorts were very faded and lacked all charm but were full of English pubs. We usually go to Sardinia and other parts of Italy in the summer. What would you recommend as the best part of the island - unspoilt and upmarket?

We would get a villa somewhere as it's easier with a big group. We like the look of Costa Calma is there enough to do? We will have kids from 3-12. Our kids are bilingual as we live in Germany so German tourists are not a prob for us.

Cool Runnings
Motorcycle Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dune Buggy
Motorcycle Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Pie de Caracol
Sightseeing Tours
Volcano Roads
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Wales
Level Contributor
296 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

The resort of Jandia / Morro Jable sounds perfect for you. It's a resort where German tourists are in the majority, hence the standard of hotels / restaurants etc are very good.

However, holiday life in this part of the island is very much centred on the quieter side of life - fantastic beaches during the day and laid back restaurants / bars in the evening. Some bars have music, but we have never encountered the 'lager lout' culture here.

Whether there will be enough 'action' for the kids would be my only concern.

That said, in my opinion, this area is by far the nicest part of Fuerte.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

Fuerteventura is a place you will either love or hate I love it. Costa Calma or Jandia should be ideal espescialy if you are German speaking it is a paradise for beach lovers and watersports. We stayed in a villa in CC a few years ago and I posted some info on my defunct website that may give you some idea what to expect..

http://www.nickmacuk.talktalk.net/BHCC.htm

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

Thanks so much for your replies. Jandiaman I read your review and I had already enquired about one of those villa. However, I found more recent reviews (Dec 2012) were very negative and photos on tripadvior showed fiitings that are very worn, also the pool and hot tub also had problems. Unfortunately with my searching so far I haven't found other accommodation on the Jandia peninsula that would be big enough for 8 people. If either of you have any suggestions I would be very grateful!

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

Corralejo is the main resort on the island. The main street on the way down to the harbour is a bit like Lanzarote, i.e. a bit british and naff, but the harbour area has lots of nice restaurants and bars where the brits don't tend to go. There are also more apartments and villas in Corralejo. Look for villas in the older part of town on the Avenue Grandes Playas, these tend to be 70's and 80's with sea views, and can be quite luxurious. Casa Zep (there are a few called this, part of a independent chain) and Villa Sueno on Calle Poris are recommended.

Make sure you have a car as the best beaches are out of town, either in the south or in the north of the island.

5. Re: What is Fuerventura like? Where is the best place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:17