We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Im looking for a holiday in July in either Gran Canaria or Fuerteventura. Ive never been to either island. Ive been to Lanzarote 3 times and love the island but want a change this year. Im concerned about cloud which we had a lot of in Lanzarote when we visited in August. I dont do 'cloud bathing' and would like any advice please about July weather in GC & F. Is there likely to be cloud. Which resorts get the best weather generally. Which resorts would be best for 2 adults & a 17 yr old- not too bothered about clubs etc- looking for a more sophisticated resort.

Looking forward to some good advice

Thanks

Jill

west midlands, uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Hi Jill,

Here's hoping I can offer you some advice from my visits to Fuerteventura.

Note - I have been to Gran Canaria once and that was back in 2001. So can't really comment too much.

I completely agree with what you are saying about Lanzarote, a beautiful island, but at times the cloud remains for most of the day, we visited in August and stayed in Playa Blanca and quite a few days started off as very cloudy.

I have visited Fuerteventura 4 times, in recent years 2006 to 2012 (3 times in August, 1 time in October)

It is a very sunny island, where in my experience, cloud doesn't hang around like in Lanzarote.

I would imagine the weather being very similar July to August. - If I think of the times I have visted in August, it really was wall to wall sunshine.

I spent 2 weeks in August in the Southern resort of Jandia last year, every day a sunny day, temps 32 to 35 deg.

The same can be said for Corralejo during August too, hot sunny days, although much more windier in Corralejo (North) than in Jandia (South).

There are 4 main resorts, the main nightlife is in Corralejo, but no loud clubs, just mainly bars and restaurants, along one street, it's very clean.

In general Fuerteventura is a very quiet island, very relaxed, I would say it is the least commercial out of the 4 main canary islands. but if you like beautiful beaches, then this is the island. Especially the Corralejo sand dunes and Jandia area. The beaches are so long and uncrowded, plenty of space.

The resorts are:

Corralejo - mainly british visitors

Caleta De Fuste - mainly british visitors, neat to airport

Costa Calma - mainly German visitors, but brits do visit

Jandia - mainly German visitors, but brits do visit

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Cannot coment on Gran Canaria as i have never been..Last year we went to Fueteventura twice staying in Caleta De Fuste both times,as all ready mentioned it is only 10 mins in a taxi from the airport and cost between €11 and €15 depending where abouts you stay..I found this website that was put together by the DE for Caleta who now lives there very usefull it shows all accomadtions and bars and resteraunts aswell as much more its very interesting.We went S/C both times as it was very cheap to eat and drink out considering its in the euro zone.

Hope you have a great holiday wherever you choose

Wendy

http://www.freewebs.com/caletafuerteventura/

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Considering Correlejo is less than 14km distant from Playa Blanca( you can see one from the other quite clearly) in Lanzarote there will be little or no variation in cloud cover as they are on opposite sides of the Bocaina Strait.......so northerly Fuerteventura weather tends to be very similar to southerly Lanzarote climate.

However it does tend to be windier in Fuerteventura (hence the name.....means ´´strong winds´´in Spanish ! )so cloud may clear slightly quicker.

As to predicting the weather here more than 7 days in advance.......wish I could ...would make a fortune :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Thank you all who have replied to my message, very helpful.

Will check out the website mentioned & my brochures tomorrow when I have the afternoon off work!

Thanks again

Jill

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

It depends on where you stayed in Lanzarote and what you expect of a holiday. If you were Puerto Del Carmen, Gran Canaria may be a better bet, try Maspalomas or Playa Del Ingles. For quieter on Gran Canaria, Puerto Rico (a bit like Costa Teguise). If you want something like Playa Blanca, then Fuerteventura. The liveliest resort is Corralejo. More English but smaller is Caletta Del fueste. Quietest still is Jandia (and German). Weather wise, in August, it will be hot hot hot wherever you are. Fuerteventura has a reputation for wind, but not so much in the summer.

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

Hi Jill, well to be honest I can only remark on the weather in January/February in Gran Canaria ....it was great, around 20-22 every day, except one. I can however, tell you about an up market area on Gran Canaria called MELONARES. We stayed there for 3 weeks this year - plenty of cafes/restaurants and a beautiful flat prom to Maspalomass. Would definitely go to that area again. There are some really lovely hotels in the vicinity too. The Lopesan, and Riu hotels are nice. Hope that helps.

7. Re: Fuerteventura & Gran Canaria weather & general advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:16