We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Fuerteventura...

Wallasey, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying to Fuerteventura...

Hi everyone.

Due to fly to Fuerteventura in two weeks, I'm excited but my fear of flying is worrying me a little!

I managed to do Manchester-Tenerife and back in March and got through that (just about - RIDICULOUSLY turbulent landing on return but that's another story).

What I was wondering is if anyone knew the general sort of flight path from Stansted to Fuerte.. what will we see from the window etc. Any helpful information would be more than welcomed!

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

all depends on the flight route for that day...but normally its over the bay of Biscay...then over Portugal and down to fuerteventura.when it reaches fuerteventura to land you will see caleta de fuste and then you land...so most of the time its mainly the sea that you can see..i took my sister in law with us last may,,she had never flown before and like you was worried..she sat in middle seat.put her headphones in and read a book..from time to time she had little look out of window..when we landed in fuerteventura..she was fine.and said was great had no idea why she was worried so much lol

Bristol England
Level Contributor
443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

You may see a lot of clouds.

Why put yourself through it if you dont like it?

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

yep forgot about the cloud..lol..and if your flight home is a late flight home you see nothing except darkness lol

west midlands, uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

I have flown to Fuerteventura several times from Birmingham, in my experience if you want to see more land from the plane then try and sit on the left hand side of the plane. (Seats A,B or C)

Seat A is your best bet next to a window.

When I travelled to Fuerteventura last year I managed to see the South West Coast of Uk, Isle of Wight, then over the Channel Islands and Bay of Biscay, then fly over Portugal (North to South)

When you get to about 2hrs 30/40 mins into your journey, you should see the coastline of the Algarve, it really is so beautiful, the beaches and the cliffs in the distance, so nice. My highlight for the journey.

After this it is pretty much just the Atlantic Ocean out of the window for a good hour, heading towards Fuerteventura, you may fly over Lanzarote or see the Timanfaya National Park in Lanzarote in the distance.

It's a lovely journey, hopefully looking out the window at different places, will help calm the nerves/take your mind off the journey. It certainly helps for me.

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

if you have done manchester -tenerife the flight to fuerteventura shouldnt really be much diffence route wise as both canary islands,

Blackpool...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

Hi, go to www.flightradar24.com type in your flight number and you can follow the flight path from previous flights with the same flight number, or find out when the next flight leaves Stansted for Fuerteventura and follow it live, or type in any airport in the world and you can see the planes live around the airport area, find out where they're going to, where they've taken off from, what speed they're going, what altitude they're flying at, what airline it is, go out into your back yard/garden and if you see a plane find out all the details, happy surfing ! .

Wallasey, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

Thanks for your help everyone!

Cotilloboy - just because I'm a nervous flyer it's not going to stop me going on holiday. I've flown many many times to various places, and I've always been on edge and panicky but I've done my research beforehand and gotten over it. This time I do feel more worried about it after having a bad flight earlier in the year, but if you don't face your fears every now and then then you end up leading a bit of a sheltered life.

I'm actually staying in Caleta de Fuste, does the close proximity of the airport mean that there's a lot of noise from the aircraft?

england
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

your only hear noise from aircraft dueing the day, as there are no night flights from or in fuerteventura im not 100% on this but im sure others will confirm this but i think the last flight of the day is about 10pm

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

gazzer is right no flights at night and yes caleta is close to airport. so during the day you can get aircraft noise but after a couple of days you dont notice them..and like gazzer has said no flights at night..

Hull
Level Contributor
163 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Fuerteventura...

Have you tried having hypnotherapy for your flight fears? My mum is petrified of flying but after only 1 session she did a 9 hour flight to America which amazed me ;-)