We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

London, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Hello dear travellers,

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Canaries in the second week of November for 5 days, we seem to like Fuerteventura. We have friends recommending Jandia the most. We are in our late twenties, not party crazy. We are looking for somewhere to relax and unwind with a decent place to stay, some good food and wine. Both of us being Veggies, we'd probably prefer getting a apartment to stay so we can fix some things ourselves. But also more than happy to eat out if we can find something.

We may not hire a car.

Depending on whether we manage to get our int license.

Please could you suggest which of the three do you think suits us better? or even what these 3 places are like compared to each other.

Many Thanks in advance.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Well, I'm biased - obviously - but I'm sure you'd be happy in Corralejo.

I don't know Jandia well but we did visit for a day and didn't like it due to the hillside-covering hotels. I don't think they were skyscrapers (they aren't allowed here, apart from the two that bribed their way in) but they gave that impression. I've heard that everything happens in the hotels and on the beach.

Lanzarote is a great place for touristy things to do; great landscapes (very different from here), wine tasting, not-to-be-missed volcano, caves, etc. But the beaches aren't great, apart from Papagayo. The resorts are very quiet and we found them a bit too British.

However, I hasten to add that we don't know either place as well as we know Corralejo, which is very cosmopolitan (including a fair number of real Canarian locals as Corralejo is still a fishing village). There are no Ibiza-style nightclubs and discos but there are hundreds of small bars, cafés and restaurants and a great chilled-out atmosphere. There are restaurants here to suit all tastes, and one of the latest (where Temple Bar used to be) only serves fish and vegetarian dishes. The live music scene (mostly quietish singer-guitarists plus a couple of rock bars) is fantastic and the reason for our move here. And Corralejo dunes beach is arguably one of the best, plus there are other beaches right in the town area.

You need an international licence? You don't have an EU licence? A hire car is handy everywhere on either island, but the buses work well on Fuerteventura and Corralejo is big enough for 5 days.

But maybe others can give a less biased view. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for your response. Even before I asked the question I was leaning towards Corralejo, now I am all the more. I don't know much about Lanzarote though. As of now I think Corralejo is the place with may be a day trip to Lanzarote. Unless there are any other strong opinions.

Will hopefully have an EU license by then..

Thanks again. If you don't mind, another quick question- is corralejo dominated by many resorts.? Do you have any opinion on this place? holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/…385126

Kind Regards,

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Hey

In the interests of balance I thought I would mention a few things about Jandia. It is down in the SE of the island and enjoys marginally better weather on account of this. The beaches are amazing, some of the best on the island. Jandia itself has a stretch of beach of soft, pure white sand which stretches for km's and is very expansive. Consequently, it never feels busy and the breeze is most welcome. The beach is backed by a large nature reserve with wild parrots and squirrels/chipmunks which can be fed by hand. Wooden boardwalks link the main restsurant/bar/taverna area to the beach and cross the nature reserve. A pedestrianised lane runs alongside the reserve and you can walk for km's. You can also walk for hours along the beach. Morro Jable is a working village located st the end of Jandia which is easy to walk to. Lovely harbour area and restaurants/bars.

As said earlier, a lot of the bigger hotels are built into the hillside and are elevated. Given this, you dont get the Benidorm effect. The restaurants/tavernas and shopping areas run alongside the main road below the hotel areas, but are set back a little so the traffic doesnt affect the atmosphere. They are very relaxed and chilling is the order of the day. The clientele is mainly German, very few Brits go there but this justs adds to its charm, its just different from elsewhere. It is such a laid back resort and promotes rest and relaxation with enough to keep u occupied if you are looking for a chilled break.

Some great beach bars situated at the edge of the beaches overlooking the beach/sea. Great for a morning coffee and teatime sundowner.

I went in Oct 2011 and Dec 2012 and loved it, definitely will be back. Went to El Cotillo in Oct 2012 and whilst I really enjoyed the place, its Jandia for me.

I cant compare Jandia to Corralejo, Caleta etc as I hve never holidayed there (just day visits) so it would be unfair on you for me to try to do so.

Horses for courses, enjoy wherever u choose.

Mart

Edited: 05 September 2013, 08:29
Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

You should work for the Jandia tiurist board, FB. It sounds perfect to me. All we need to do now is to decide on apartment or hotel and if the latter, which one. Oh dear.

halifax england...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Personally Jandia would be my choice however for a first visit Corralejo may be the best bet the main reason it is also very handy for the ferry to Lanzarote which is worth visiting for the day. Good comments by the other possters.

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

If you want to get the lanzarote angle i would pose the question on the lanzarote forum to see the response.It is the cleanest of the canary islands and the most scenic.Most visitors to Lanzarote dont leave here to look at other islands on the first visit because this island possess`s the biggest collection of natural sites.The caves,cesar manrique foundation,the volcano timanfaya national park,the green lake to name but a few.The island of Lanzarote is a lot more low key,No sky scrapers all the holiday resorts are just two or three stories high and each resort has a selection of vegetarian restaurants.Worth a post on Lanzarote forum

London, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and suggestions. The impression I get is all of them are equally good :)

Mart- That was very helpful, when I read either of your or Sheila's response both sound like a perfect holiday place to me. There isnt something I dislike.

Jandiaman- That makes good sense to me, Corralejo- easier to visit Lanzarote..

David- I will try and post it on the Lanzarote forum, the reason I posted on the Fuerteventura forum was because I was keen on catching any opinions which compare the islands.

We think, we should book the flights and accomodation asap, so we get a better deal. And all 3 places sound great. My guess is we might lean towards Corralejo- mainly because f the amount of research we have done on it, secondly that its easier to visit Lanzarote..

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

Why do you need a special license? A uk driving license is all you should need.

Corralejo would be a great first destination in Fuerteventura it has everything except the best beaches on its doorstep but a car would solve this small problem(the town beaches are fine). You could then visit the sand dunes beach and the lagoons & beaches at El Cotillo. Corralejo has a good mix of nationalities compared to Jandia which is aimed at the Germans.

Is it not pronounced Corralayho?

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

The obvious pronunciation choice of Corral-edge-o is just so awful that locals are perfectly happy at our feeble attempts that come out either as Corral-ache-o or Corral-ay-ho. What it really needs is the Scottish 'loch' pronunciation, or the Dutch "Van Gogh" - a sort of strangled gargle will do fine. :)

If you have a driving licence from anywhere in the EU, you won't need anything else (I'm still driving on a French licence, but that's another story). But if you have an American licence or one from somewhere else in the world then you may need an international one. OTOH, the Spanish authorities may allow you to drive on any old licence just for a week - I don't know the rules.

Trips to Lanzarote are very easy from Corralejo. You can just take a ferry to Playa Blanca, another nice beach resort, and be there in 30-50 minutes: there are two car ferries and one for foot passengers only. You can take some hire cars but not all (check with the company) although it is quite expensive. Once in PB, if you want to roam there are hire cars, buses, excursions. Or you can book an all-in excursion from here, which may work out cheaper. Look out for flying fish, and you may even get to see a dolphin, though we haven't been that lucky yet.

10. Re: Corralejo or Lanzarote or Jandia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:19