We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

We're thinking about booking a villa with a pool for an early break next year, but am not sure which are the better choices...

Lanzarote or Fuerteventura, in January or February.

We don't do pubs or restaurants, but do do sight-seeing, nature/beachcombing, bird-watching & heritagey stuff plus a bit of artsy/crafts/market shopping. Please help me make a decision - I'm rubbish at deciding! :)

After a quick search too, it seems very few posters have positives for Fuerte. Any comments?

Bp Auckland
Level Contributor
217 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Firstly I would disregard any negative posts you've read about Fuerteventura, its a beautiful place, you can only see it for yourself and make up your own mind.

We've been to Lanzarote a few times and to us its Fuerteventura all day long .

Everything you like you will see there.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

We have been to both many times and my advice would be not to rule out Fuerte. Note that water for pools is a problem on both islands

From what you say, you do not seem to want a big resort. You could consider Famara on Lanzarote but it may be a bit too quiet. Alternatively you may find a villa with a pool on the Costa Calma in Fuerte. Or you could consider a villa with a pool in Lajares in Fuerte or an apartment in El Cotillo. Both are fairly quiet and laid back places with some more local bars and restaurants. You would not need a pool in El Cotillo because of the splendid beach nearby. There are also good walks around El Cotillo and Lajares.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Thanks for the replies. Can't understand why so many go to Fuerte but can't say why it's better than Lanza? Am wondering which is better for nature & sightseeing, not at all bothered by pubs or restaurants.

Oxford
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

I go to both, regularly and I would definitely recommend Lanzarote for the stuff you want to do. Fundacion Cesar Manrique, The Green Caves, Timanfaya volcano, El Golfo, El Mirador plus the beautiful Papagayo beaches, to mention a few.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Prefer Ferte personaly but agree with Nick Lanza more suited to your needs.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Why Fuerte Jandia? Not sure about Cesar, not a fan of modern art and often prefer built to natural environment at times - but normally it's down to visiting 'ruins' or traditional village/town areas. :)

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Ferte is one of those places you either love or hate. I love it for its laid back atmosphere and magnificent vast and uncrowded beaches. There are lots of traditional unspoilt villages and dramatic volcanic landscapes that can be enjoyed on a scenic drive. I have done the touristy things on Lanza Like theTimanfaya National Park (Fire Mountain and the Jameos del Agua. cave system which are definitely worth a visit but I have not spent more than a day in Lanza.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

I like the sound of Fuerte, not fond of crowds or touristy stuff. Might start a 'why do you love Fuerte' thread to get some more info, thanks. :)

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

If you are prepared to hire a car for your stay and drive around I would say that Lanzarote has more to offer if you have not been before. Look on Trip Advisor to see the recommendations. The Cesar Manrique sites are really worthwhile. You do not need to base yourself in one place. If you want to see/stay in somewhere really out of the way, stay a night on the island of La Graciosa off the north west coast of Lanzarote. It is quite unique and special. The ferry goes from the nice village of Orzola.

If you want to base yourself in one place and don't do much except some good walking and some great beaches then I suggest El Cotillo in Fuerteventura.

Why not go to Lanzarote this year and Fuerteventura next?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fuerteventura or Lanzarote / Jan or Feb?

Hi NT7 - not sure we'll want to go to the Canaries again (OH has been to Tenerife a long time ago and hated it)...so trying to make the righter choice now, which might ensure return visits. :)

We always hire a car and a villa.