We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport expires

merseyside
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
passport expires

I have booked a surprise holiday for my husband in may.the probkem is that his passport expires in sept.will I have to renew before we fly.or will I be able to keep the surprise

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport expires

Julie-you'll have to renew as you won't be able to fly. Simply not enough time left on your husband's p'port after your return to UK. renewals don't take that long-do it now!!!! Regards!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport expires

Presuming we are talking Fuerteventura, presuming a British passport.

Re: #1 - Certainly incorrect.

As long as the passport does not expire until after return to the U.K. it is valid.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport expires

Wombatt=suggest you try it & see! Is it really worth the risk-I think not & I know of people that have been refused boarding with less than 6 months left on their p'port. The option is Julie's!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport expires

I have tried it and seen. The option is certainly Julie's.

I suggest she should not be asking such, presumably important to her, questions on a forum where such poor quality answers are provided and simply google for the proper answer.

https:/…entry-requirements

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport expires

Wombatt & who are you to judge what to your way of thinking is a poor quality answer!!!! Julie-our advice-renew & prevent the potential for 'issues' at check in for your flight. We suspect that you'll not need the worry/stress of thinking what could go so very wrong. Regards to you!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport expires

There is no problem. I went to both Barcelona and France end of Jan and beginning of Feb this year. My passport expired on 14 Feb. In fact, I am now waiting for a new passport to arrive any day in the post.

Certain countries outside the EU require you to have a passport which still has 6 months remaining on it at the end of your stay. This does not apply to EU citizens visiting the EU.

So, Wombat, yes, you are right.

UK
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport expires

Definitely not a problem. I contacted the Spanish Embassy to check about 18 months ago because I couldn't find a definite answer. They confirmed in writing that as long as the passport was valid on the return date to the UK, that was OK.

As the OP is trying to keep the May holiday a surprise she would probably struggle to explain to her husband why he should renew his passport if it doesn't run out until September.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport expires

Scarlet, I'm sorry but you're 100% wrong. You have to have time left on your passport to go to the states and a few other select countries. EU law states you're allowed in any time you have a valid passport, and for Spain, you can actually travel on a passport that's up to 1 year out of date.

It's the law, and the facts, no opinion involved.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport expires

Keep the surprise Julie. There will definitely be no problem with hubbys passport.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport expires

Would certainly be a problem if you were going outside the EU, but it'll be OK to come here. Just don't let the UK leave the EU before then :)!