We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

Sussex
Level Contributor
6 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

A quick heads up if visiting Fuerteventura and hiring a car. Within five minutes of the airport, the police had set up a speed trap...very easy to miss the change in speed limit as you approach this particular roundabout.

200 euro fine - no discussion, no sympathy as a tourist. If I was synical I would suggest the speed trap is there to catch unsuspecting tourists - new country, just off of a plane, looking for directions and for us Brits wrong side of the car/road.

Anyway, just be warned.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

Well, I don't know how the police at Dover or Folkestone react to foreigners arriving and driving at great speed in their country, but I would imagine it would be in a similar way. So, you (using "you" in a general way):

- don't know where you're going

- aren't familiar with the road system

- possibly can't understand Spanish signs (not all are symbols, after all)

- are on the wrong side of the road

- are on the wrong side of the car

- are in a car that you only got into 5 minutes ago so you're unfamiliar with the controls

- etc

yet you're driving fast enough to cop a 200€ fine, when the "just over the limit" one is €100?

If I was being cynical, I would suggest that the police were doing a good job. As a resident here, I have every sympathy for tourists who only do 70 in a 90kph area, obviously wishing they were in their own car (i.e. on the other side of the car), and on the other side of the road, and being distracted by everything around them. I've been there, done that - in fact, I have to go through it when I drive in the UK.

Just be warned that pedestrians here (residents and frequent visitors alike) expect to be able to simply step off the pavement wherever there's a zebra crossing. It's their right and they take it. Please make sure you can stop for them.

Bp Auckland
Level Contributor
217 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

That's a good post, many times I've got into a hire car and just sat for 5 or 10 minutes familiarising myself with the controls before setting off, otherwise you'll be switching the windscreen wipers on instead of indicating or reading MPH instead of KPH or switching lights on and off etc etc.

Add this to the fact that folk are extra keen to get to their resort and chill and therefore driving too fast mean the Police are guaranteed to "pull".

Like I said, take time to save time, it may save you 30 minutes or so of "police time" and a fair few quid .

Edited: 19 March 2014, 13:15
Wales
Level Contributor
293 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

Last year we were parked up in our hired VW Polo between the airport and Jandia, when a fellow visitor (also in a VW Polo) pulled along side us, and asked if we knew how to operate the windscreen wipers!.......in GERMAN!?!

4. Re: Police speed trap!!! BEWARE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:17