We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

My grandparents have been looking at booking a 5 week, all inclusive, holiday in fuerteventura from 2nd jan. The travel agent has offered them 2 holidays...

-globales costa tropical in costa antigua

Or

- caleta gardens in caleta de fuste

Can anyone give me their opinions on either or both of these options, please?

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Hi Claire - have you got permission to leave the Lanzarote Forum?? Only joking, of course.

We holiday regularly in Fuerteventura (as well as Lanzarote) and to be honest I wouldn't be keen on either of these, especially the first one as it's not really in Caleta itself - maybe have a look at the reviews on TA and see what you think?

The second option is in a good location, but it depends what their expectations are. It's basic accommodation, basic food, but probably reasonable value for money, if they are set on AI.

Have they thought about booking independently, rather than through a Travel Agent? If they would consider it, there are some really nice little bungalows in Caleta de Fuste - Castillo Playa Bungalows where we've stayed a few times and they get mainly excellent reviews on TA.

They seem to get quite a few long stay visitors (of the mature variety) in the winter months, and although they are only SC, there's a brilliant little pool bar where you can even pre-order a meal in the evening and they ring your apartment when it's ready for collection.

Also, their is an excellent supermarket (Eurospar), a nice stroll along the promenade (probably a taxi back with a 'big shop' though) and loads of good value places to eat in the resort, that they would miss out on if AI.

If you need any other information, let me know as we've been holidaying in Fuerteventura for the last 20 odd years!!

We're off to Lanzarote on Thursday and I noticed that you're going on Monday so have a fab time and let's hope we get some sunshine.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Hi bud and bob! :-) yep Monday for me, lets start the sun dance now!

Gran and Grandad enjoy AI, partly because they're looking to be away for 5 or 6 weeks and can get good deals on this basis, they're in their 80s and like avoiding the British weather for as long as possible at that time of year.

Personally i love the sound of your sc recommendation and would rather choose something like that, but they tend to be content with a bit of sun, meals in the same place, nice walks and a spot for reading during the day, maybe some nice shops nearby, a drink and a natter to other holiday makers in the evening, simple accomodation- anything that helps them stay abroad for as long as possible lol!

They tend to go to Tunisia at that time of year and I take them to lanzarote in October sc, which they adore, so theyre delighted to have found a package in the canaries at that time of year, especially as the average temperatures are much higher.

Thanks very much for your input and have a brilliant holiday! Where are you headed? :-) x

Edited: 29 March 2014, 04:52
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Oh and I tried to organise a diy package, but was getting nowhere due to the fact they're determined to be away for as long as possible lol x

UK
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Morning Claire - We're off to Playa Blanca, 1 week in a villa and then another week in a hotel (like a bit of both types of holiday) Then back to Fuerteventura in May for 10 days.

Taking into account what your grandparents are looking for, I would discount the first option due to it's location and maybe get them to have a look at some reviews on Caleta Gardens before they decide. If it's cheap enough, then they can ring the changes with a few meals out anyway. I'm not one to knock AI, if that's what folk want - we had a 5 days stay at the White Suites in Playa Blanca in February and it was fab!!

Hope they get sorted soon, can't wait until we can have some long-stay hols too!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

Thanks for all your help :-) very jealous of the long stay situation lol. I'm going to PDC for 11 days this time though, couldn't be more excited!! X

6. Re: Which holiday would be best? Opinions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:17