We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

We are going to Fuerteventura in September, are there mosquitoes at this time of the year.

I usually attract them unfortunately, one holiday in Cyprus was really spoilt by this, ended up at a hospital.

Mentioned in this post
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

I have been 3 times in September to 3 different resorts and have only been bitten once.

The wind seems to keep them away but do the obvious and dont leave lights on with windows or doors open and you should be fine.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

There are mosquitoes the year round here as we don't really have a winter. OTOH, they need fresh water to breed and there's precious little of that here so they aren't the problem they can be in humid places. But if you're likely to be bitten then it would be sensible to take precautions. As the previous poster says, lights outside or in a room with an open window are just asking for trouble.

You can buy all the usual products here. We find that the plug-in jobbie that works with a bottle of fluid is the most effective. I use it every night of the year when I remember. If I don't and I hear a high-pitched whine, I turn it on and a few minutes later the room's quiet.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you for your replies, most helpful and much appreciated. We will take heed your advice.

Bristol England
Level Contributor
456 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Local wine vinegar put into the middle of a saucer, in every room overnight works for me. Tried Sarsens one year, no good.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Many thanks, will give it a try.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

We are in Corralejo just now and yes there r mozzies. We heard before we came there were none. Although my hubbie took the repellant out the case thankfully the Anthisan made it here!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Whilst Anthisan is good, Fenestil is even better . You should be able to get it in any Pharmacia, I always bring some home as it isn`t available here , my Doctor does the same so it must be OK ! Like Sheila we always use the plug ins.

LaMaP.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you for the update re mosquitoes, very helpful!

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
944 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

I sat outside while having a coffee at the Gran Hotel Atlantis last night and was bitten once, a lady I spoke to also mentioned being bitten. I hadn't thought about bringing repellant.

Mentioned in this post
Arrecife Gran Hotel & SPA
Arrecife Gran Hotel & SPA
2,112 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

In over a dozen times to Corralejo & once to CDF, I've never had one mossie bite. Maybe that's just me being lucky but c'est la vie! If you do attract them, bring a repellent & eat plenty of garlic! Also, a course of vitamin b helped me years ago in Greece. Hope you're not a magnet for them in Fuerte. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain