We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fuertaventura Ferry in December

We are planning to visit Fuerteventura from B asel for the Christmas holidays. Would like to know if there are ferries from Lanzarote at that time as I am not able to see any schedule for December. If there are ferries, what would be the cost of a round trip?

There are no direct flights from Basel to Fuerteventura and hence thinking to fly to Lanzarote and take the ferry to Fuerteventura

Please suggest if this is a possible option.

Caleta de Fuste...
Destination Expert
for Caleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura
Level Contributor
6,708 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

It is possible.

Fred Olsen ferries and Armas operate ferries all year round. It is the only means of connection between the two islands.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Thanks...which would be the closest place to take the ferry near the Lanzarote airport and how long does it take to reach to the place?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Ferries from Lanzarote to Fuerteventura go from Playa Blanca in the south of Lanzarote to Corralejo in the north of Fuerteventura.

There are quite a few options overall for the three ferries (Fred Olsen, Armas or Princesa Ico) which run year round - e.g. book via websites or just turn up on the day and book from the Olsen / Armas / Tourist Ticket offices at Playa Blanca ferry port. We were well impressed earlier this year by the Fred Olsen which is by far the largest of the ferries, with advance web fare about 30 euros return per person, although there are cheaper options as above. Make sure you take your passports.

We too flew into Lanzarote and took the ferry from Playa Blanca to Corralejo (for a holiday in each resort). For getting directly to the ferry port in Playa Blanca, you can just hop on the #161 bus at Arrecife airport for 3 euros or so each and store your luggage in the hold. A taxi would be about 50 euros each way. (Bus takes about an hour, taxi half an hour.) The ferry port (Muelle) is the stop after the bus station in Playa Blanca and it may be best to tell the driver at the outset you want to get off there as they tend to turf off passengers at the bus station. The Fred Olsen ferry is probably the best option from there as you can load all your luggage into lockers (1 euro coin required for each) driven up on a trailer beside the ferry.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

It's certainly a possible option - my family have done it. There'll be at least one ferry each hour for the short hop across the straits, probably more frequent. You don't say how you'll be travelling but you've already had info about buses etc. Two of the three ferries take cars so you could hire a car at Lanzarote airport (e.g. CICAR) BUT be sure to tell them you need to take it to Fuerteventura and get their OK on that as not all companies allow this.

You'll find special offer deals if you book way in advance, and from local excursion operators - online is not always the cheapest option. Although they say to get there at least 30 minutes before sailing there aren't a lot of procedures to go through so it is actually possible to turn up just before time and walk/drive straight on. As a previous poster says though, for some bizarre reason you will need to have your passport/ID card handy.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

I would check previous posts especially on the Lanzarote Forum about taking hired cars on ferries between the two islands as it may not be straightforward. Plus, you would be an extra 65 euros or so on Fred Olsen on top of the cost of car hire itself. Maybe hire a car when you're over in Fuerteventura?

Public bus from Lanzarote Airport to Playa Blanca ferry port is really simple. Turn right when you come out of the departures sliding door onto the concourse and walk about 100m until you come to the bus stop at the roadside outside. At the Playa Blanca ferry port end, just walk another 100m or so downhill from the bus stop to the main building there (Phil at the Tourist Ticket office there is good for the best ferry deals, I understand), then a further 100m to the ferry itself.

Totally agree with Stephen and Sheila above that a holiday on Fuerteventura is do-able flying in and/or out of Lanzarote.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

You have had a lot of good advice. We have flown into Lanzarote many times on our way to Fuerteventura - it seems to be easier now that there is a direct bus from the airport.

One or two extra things. You can book and pick up a hire car at the Fuerteventura from CICAR - the car hire company that is one of the most highly rated by TA posters. Alternatively, the Number 6 bus to the big hotels and Puerto Rosario leaves from the ferry terminal at about 50 minutes past the hour and sometimes at 20 minutes past the hour. It will take you into the bus station if you want to transfer to a No 8 for El Cotillo

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Thank you all for your very helpful comments...was quite busy the past days and was not able to get back to the forum..

We are planning to take the taxi to the port as we are a group of 9 incl 4 kids in all and then probably hire a car in fuerteventura as suggested by some. Any suggestions for reliable private taxi hires?

In one of the posts its mentioned that the ferry tickets might be cheaper through local excursion operators. Would be helpful if someone can point to some reliable operators...

aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Wow - didn't realise there's 9 of you. Although you could just hop into a couple of taxis at Lanzarote Airport taxi rank, it might be better to look into what I think is called a private transfer and book a minibus for your travelling party. We've used Lastminute Travel a few times with no problems (apart from once, with a manic minibus driver trying to keep to his pick-up timetable creating some travel sickness as his vehicle lurched around). If travel sickness is an issue for your children, BTW, maybe be wary of the smallest (and cheapest) of the three ferries, the Pricesa Ico, in December.

Lastminute operates on both islands and offers ferry deals, so I think you could strike a deal with them including both minibus and ferry for you.. If they don't see this thread first and reply here, you can contact them through their website: www.fuerteventuraexcursions.com. Most recently, we used a company called Transfer and Save, if my memory serves me, who were excellent for private transfer from Fuerteventura Airport and a bit cheaper than Lastminute, although I don't think they would be able to include the ferry. There are other transfer companies you could research too (Resorthoppa, Hoiliday Taxis, etc).

Another option for value ferry fares might be to contact Whereabouts, based in Hoplaco Gardens just off Corralejo High St. I'm sure Sheila or others will have more details on this, if applicable.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

Maitland from Whereabouts in Corralejo can certainly help with ferry crossings, though I don't know that he has a presence over on Lanzarote. He produces a little orange booklet called "What's on" every month that's filled with all sorts of useful information and he's a Scotsman who's been around for pretty much as long as tourism on the island so there isn't much he doesn't know. His booklet is free, contains his contact information, and the current online version is available here: http://www.whatsonfuerteventura.com/

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fuertaventura Ferry in December

After 2 months, I thought of seeing the ferry availability and saw that Olsen is already 50 Euros return and Armas has not yet opened booking for Christmas yet. Interestingly, while going through the What's on booklet from the site suggested by ShielaW34, came across a new company not listed anywhere in TA. They are called Videocosta, but the site redirects to Lineas Maritimas Romero http://www.lineasromero.com

I am not finding much details about this company but when I mailed them, they came back with an offer for 20 euros return for adults! They also provided me a booking number while picking up tickets and paying. Not very sure if they are legit but since no money was involved, it did not sound too risky.

Would be great if someone can throw some more light on this company as it would help if we still keep looking or can sit back and relax having a booking number from this company