We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions..

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions..

Hello all!

Me and my boyfriend are going to La Gomera in the beginning of April for one week. We are flying to Tenerife South, and are hoping to hire a car to take over on the ferry. However, does anyone know anything about ferry prices (return for 2 plus a car, and which car companies allow this?) Also, how far away is the ferry port from Tenerife South?

Also, do we need a car for the entire week, or would it be possible to enjoy La Gomera using public transport?

Thanks!

Holly

Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions..

In general car rental companies don't want you to take the car over to another island and when they do yo have to accept that in case of accident or breakdown is your responsability to bring the car back to Tenerife.

Ferry prices hete... www.naviera-armas.com and www.fredolsen.es.

Ferry port is about 15kms from Tenerife South Airport.

Public transport in la Gomera is very basic,I woukd recomend a car.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions..

Hi, we are gong next week and have pre-booked a car on the island, any company we requested a quote from did not permit their cars leaving the island of Tenerife, also I make out it would be cheaper to hire on La Gomera than pay for transporting the car.

There appears to be about 4 or 5 buses a day from the SS port to other parts of the island, P. Santiago, Vallehermoso, Valle Gran Rey and Agulo. Timetable on www.gomera.info.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Vallehermoso
Vallehermoso
La Gomera, Spain
Valle Gran Rey
Valle Gran Rey
La Gomera, Spain
Agulo
Agulo
La Gomera, Spain
uk
Destination Expert
for San Sebastian de la Gomera, La Gomera
Level Contributor
325 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions..

Currently Armas are doing a price of around 99 euros return for two people (non-residentes) and car - I think that Olsen also have something similar. The car is more or less going free at this price so there is a saving on the fare to/from the airport (taxi would be about 50 euros - bus about 8 - but it doesn't go into the port). The main problem as mentioned elsewhere is getting the company to agree to you taking the car over (CICAR may be the best option for this) and getting the insurance sorted. If you investigate this anjd find a solution please let us know as others ask it from time to time.

If you've only got a week and want to use public transport to see most of the island then San Sebastian has to be your best base as it is all focussed on there. IT would be possible to arrange a two three centre week using public transport. eg SS - Vallehermoso - CHipude - SS. with side trips to VGR and Santiago.

jev

Mentioned in this post
Vallehermoso
Vallehermoso
La Gomera, Spain
Chipude
Chipude
La Gomera, Spain
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions..

I am planning a week in July at Holiday Property Bond's El Balcón de Santa Ana near Playa de Santiago and am curious about taking a car from Tenerife. What did you decide?

My wife and I will travel with two 15 year old boys. It seems the Fred Olsen price (approx 150 Euros) is less for a car with 4 passengers than for the 4 x adult fares we would be charged without a car (though I have perhaps misunderstood the pricing on the Fred Olsen website.) If 150 Euros is accurate, collecting a car on arrival at Tenerife South and taking it to Playa de Santiago for the week sounds like a good bet.

HPB offer a transfer which I have used before. It is good and convenient but expensive, especially for 4 (£340 return for 4)

Any advice welcome, especially with regard to ferry prices and to car rental companies in Tenerife that allow their cars to be taken to La Gomera.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions..

HI grantem, at a guess I think you may be reading the resident's price of €150 for car and passengers. As previously stated by many posts you need to check with car hire company first on policy with taking cars on ferries, not normally permitted. We used the larger Armas ferry as it was cheaper and you had more freedom to wander around the ship while crossing and had a car pre-booked at the port. Hope you have a great time if you go, there is a breif report below if you do decide to drive on the island.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 07:51
cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions..

grantem, just checked out Fred Olsen site and it does look like €156 for car and 4 adults, seems brilliant if you can get the car,

uk
Destination Expert
for San Sebastian de la Gomera, La Gomera
Level Contributor
325 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions..

Hi Granthem - I did check with the CICAR office at San Sebastian a while back about bringing cars over from Tenerife. I was assured that this wasn't a problem for them as they had offices and breakdown cover on both islands. They said though that customers wanting to do this should telephone the Tenerife Office

http://www.cicar.com/EN/view/contacto_EN and advise that this is what they wanted to do and ensure that they get confirmation of this. The Olsen and Armas fees and special offers do vary from time to time and often (to me anyway!) seem quite illogical so it wouldn't surprise me if the deal you've seen was available.

Do let us know how you get on - it certainly seems the best way to get across.

jevvy

Edited: 13 June 2011, 09:46
Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions..

@jevvy, @oscars - many thanks for your posts.

CICAR have confirmed the same to me in an email this morning:

"You can cross the car to another island but you will always have to take it back to the island where it had been collected. Please advise to our colleague in our office at the car collection."

And Fred Olsen have confirmed that it really does cost less for less for 4 people in a car than for the same 4 people without a car (beats me, but there you are). And they know I am not a Canary resident.

So taking a car over is looking like a good option right now, even if I have to compromise slightly on the ferry fare to allow for the possibility of the plane being late.

Assuming that we go ahead with the trip, I'll post an update on my return.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions..

This is what I have gone for:

Arriving at Tenerife South on Ryanair FR1121 on Tue, 19 Jul 11 at 12:00

Rental car from CICAR - 19/07 13.00h - 26/07 17.00h

193.98€ Opel Astra, 5 door

Fred Olsen ferries

TENERIFE (Los Cristianos) - LA GOMERA (S. S. de La Gomera)

Outbound 19-Jul-2011 19:00 - 19:40

LA GOMERA (S. S. de La Gomera) - TENERIFE (Los Cristianos)

Return 26-Jul-2011 13:00 - 13:40

Flying back from Tenerife South on Monarch Flight ZB 933 departing on Tuesday, 26 Jul 11 at 20:15.

CICAR have confirmed in writing that the car can go to La Gomera and is covered there.

Fred Olsen charge a total of 138 € for car + 2 x Adults and 2 x Students. This SUPERMINI fare is open to non-residents, but does not allow changes. I have allowed (I hope) for the fixed sailing times by leaving 7 hours from scheduled arrrival time to ferry departure. There will probably be a boring interlude in Los Cristianos, and I do have to drive to El Balcón de Santa Ana in the dark, but I hope there is no panic on timing.

Likewise, return ferry gets to Los Cristianos at 13:40 and flight does not leave till 20:15 so there is some slack.

I am taking liberties with our time (gaps between flight and ferry times) and I know I have taken on the risk that I might miss ferries and flights and have to buy additional tickets. It is complex enough that something is likely to go wrong, but I hope not!

The benefit to me is that for 332 Euros plus fuel (ie about the same as the £340 cost of the standard transfer from airport to site and return for 4 adults) I'll also have the use of the car for the week. I would have wanted a car for some of the time anyway as we did not see much of the island on our last visit. I expect as I have it I will also use the car to go up and down to Playa Santiago a few times too.

I'll post here on my return and let you know how it went.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 00:54
Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions..

A mighty peice of work grantem, you really have sussed it out, hope the flight is near enough to on time, have a wonderful holiday and as you have been before you are aware that there is no lighting whatsoever in the tunnels, I got a fright on my first visit as I didn't know where the headlight switch was immediately.

Looking forward to reading your experience. If you do drive through Garajonay National Park do stop at the visitor's centre, it is well worth while.

Mentioned in this post
Garajonay National Park
Garajonay National Park
749 Reviews
La Gomera, Spain