We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hi

I will be staying at Playa de Santiago this year, could anyone tell me please which are the best sandy beaches, I believe the one in the centre is pebble.

Also, where is the best place for food shopping as I will be staying in an apartment.

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

uk
Destination Expert
for San Sebastian de la Gomera, La Gomera
Level Contributor
286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hi Wendy - Its a very small beach frontage so you'll soon get the hang of it. Not a lot of sand there as it is essentially a pebbly (large ones) are although they're changing the beach scape and there is now a sandy area. There are some nice beaches to the East. Go up to the Tecina and then follow the road around the hotel down to the other side. They are also pebbly.

Not much there in terms of shopping. A couple of minimarts - not much to choose between them - enough to get by on for your apartment stay. You could stock up at the Supermarket, butchers, fishmonger, etc in San Sebastian on your way through if you want more choice and then just top up as you need to at the local shops.

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Jevvy, thanks so much for your reply. Are there no sandy beaches at all then? I don't mind walking to get to one. I am a bit of a sun worshipper I am afraid!

I have another query if you are able to help, do you know if there are any buses on Sunday morning from Playa de Santiago as I have to get the 10am ferry back to Los Cristianos and I am wondering if I will need to book a taxi!

Thanks again,

Wendy

uk
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hi Wendy - They have created quite a pleasant sandy bit in the middle of the beach area with a few sun shades installed as well. Apart from that it is an area where there are large pebbles - I usually do my sun worshipping from them - not too uncomfortable once you've made your 'nest'!

The timetable for line 1 (www.guaguagomera.com/index.php…) shows a 7 am bus leaving Imada so this would get to the Playa at about 7.20am and in plenty of time to get your ferry. There are other occasional buses from the airport which also stop at the Playa and go on to SS but they are timetabled against the arrival of the planes. You can check the Binter site for the plane details and see if anything is arriving on Sunday morning. If so the bus will depart apart 30 mins after the plane arrival and get down to the Playa about 10 mins later.

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hi again

Thanks very much for your reply.

I think the bus from playa santiago is line 3. I guess if all else fails I will have to flag a taxi down from somewhere, assuming I can find one on Sunday morning !!

Looks a beautiful place. Really looking forward to my visit.

Wendy

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hi again

Thanks very much for your reply.

I think the bus from playa santiago is line 3. I guess if all else fails I will have to flag a taxi down from somewhere, assuming I can find one on Sunday morning !!

Looks a beautiful place. Really looking forward to my visit.

Wendy

uk
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Yes line 3 - sorry. Enjoy your trip

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Thank you :)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

We're here now staying at the Jardin Tecina. We love Santiago and go down there each morning for coffee and a wander. Chico's does great cappuccinos by the way and the coffee and cake shop just a bit further back has a delicious range of pastries both sweet and savoury. Mini marts look fairly typical and you can get most things there. Can't comment on beaches as I'm a pool person and get my sun there!! Have to say there was heavy rain yesterday and it's quite often pretty windy. Went on an island tour today and needed my fleece at times. But it is hot too!!

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Great! Thanks for the info, Wendy

Shipston-on-Stour...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach and Food Shopping at Playa de Santiago

Hello again

I read in another post that there are buses outside arrivals at Tenerife South which go to the bus station then its a 15 minute walk to the ferry port. As I will have plenty of time before the ferry I plan to take this option rather than get a taxi. Is the walk to the ferry signposted/straightforward?

Thanks

Wendy

Get answers to your questions about La Gomera