We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in?

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in?

I am coming to Gran Canaria on 31st Oct for 4 nights, i have made a reservation at the new Lopesan Baobab resort, but now, after reading up on the area, i'm not sure if Meloneras will be a bit too quiet for me. I will be travelling solo, and i am early thirties and female. I'm not looking to party at night, but i would like things to do during the day when i'm not relaxing on a sun lounger (fingers crossed!).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,753 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in?

OKAY UK diva ,the liveliest of the islands resorts by far is Playa INGLES,loads of night life ,though it can be a bit much for some including me ,I much prefer PUERTO RICO its lively but not hellish ,loads of different bars but not so spread out .The hotels in that resort are not high rise so where ever you stay your 98 percent chance of getting a view ,whether it be the sea one of the two beaches ,or the town .

OF the 2 beaches my favourite is AMADORES beach with its white sand that was brought in from mexico ,on its perimeter there are some lovely bars and restraunts ,a touristy shops ,clean toilets and changing rooms and showers on the beach .It really is beautiful .

The beach in PUERTO RICO town is near the port and is brown soft sand ,ideal for you to make sand castles LOL.From the port you can take a small ferry round to PUERTO MOGAN (little venice as it is known locally) a beautiful place to stroll round and have a drink or a meal .Friday is market day and it does get very busy with tourists from the other resorts ,so if your not in to markets go on another day .also check the prices in the shops first before you buy anything from the marketsas they are not always cheaper plus you can barter .The ferries from the port go from the last berths of the port wall and are painted green and white and the company is linues salmone ,there 10.30 am ferry goes out into the dolphin zone at no extra cost but make sure you make the staff aware that is the ferry you want .

I have always found PUERTO RICO to for some reason find freindly people ,i dont know if this is down to the hotels not being overly big ,or the resort being compact with its main areas of bars cafes night life being in two main areas .I dont think you would be alone for long due to the very mixed clientel ,unless of course you dont want people around you .

I do hope where ever you choose its absolutley brilliant .

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,753 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in?

Whoops! me again,forgot to mention weather wise should be 25/28 degrees in Puerto rico at the time your away ,MELONAIRES can be a few degees cooler even though not far away from each other .So yes you will no doubt get on a lounger .

England
Level Contributor
191 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in?

Hi we are wanting to book a holiday to go to the Gran Canaria in January 2010, could you please advise the best area to stay, we are in our early 50's, but still like somewhere lively, not too lively though, also which are will the temperature be the warmest. Regards

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in?

Puerto Rico, Puerto Mogan, Playa Taurito are the warmest Winter time resorts with P. Rico by far the more lively. Although the island is small temps can vary dramatically. Whilst the Southernmost resorts bask in Winter temps IN THE MID 20'sC in the North say Las Palmas city it can be quiete cool with rain and a good few degrees down. I've landed at the airport to be greeted with wind and rain and by the time I've driven the 30-40 mins down to P. Rico it's warm and sunny. Accommodation location is important too as the sun's angle is much lower in Winter if you're a poolside sun worshipper. Here a post from a week or so ago:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g635887-i11076-k…

5. Re: Best area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 05:16