We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Car Car Hire

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Gold Car Car Hire

We hired from Gold Car the other week and picked up at the airport. They were very busy, had to wait about an hour. We took out the no excess insurance when we booked and so didnt need the extra cover of windscreen, keys etc. I handed over my card (to pay for a tank of fuel that we didnt use all of), signed the electronic device and thought that was that. The contract was folded up tightly and given to us...it wasnt until I got to the hotel that I noticed that we had been charged €35 for the extra insurance. I have e mailed Gold Car for an explanation but to no avail. They have read every e mail (one a day!) but have not replied to any. If you do go through Gold Car...mind the extra €35 if you do not want it! We do hire 4 or 5 times a year so are not wet behind the ears on this...but they got us!

170 replies to this topic
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

We also had been scamed by gold car rentals in Gran Canaria. but we have recieved an email saying we should have asked for a full refund at the airport. Its a joke nobody should use gold car rentals unless you like being ripped off.

I am going through a battle with them now and i will not stop unless i win and i never ever give up on anything. renters beware DON'T US GOLD CAR RENTALS IN SPAIN THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

I still have not been able to get a reply from them. They have completely ignored all requests for an explanation. Then they sent me a thankyou for thanking out their insurance! If this has happened more than once then it is not an accident. DO NOT USE GOLD CAR!!

Madrid
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

We hired Gold Car at the airport and also had to wait about an hour. We had to pay extra cover of windscreen, keys etc, though was theoretically "full insurance" included. Tricky information.

The worst part: They force you to to pre-pay for a full tank of fuel that I only used 30%, and that information was not on the web nor contract.

DON'T RENT WITH GOLD CAR!!!

Edited: 21 May 2011, 13:03
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

I also rented a car from Goldcar - disgusted at having to pay over 70 Euros on collection - to pay for the tank of fuel. No way would it cost this much to fill a mini economy car with fuel. The queues are a joke! No way will I ever book a car hire with this company again. I would rather pay the extra £30 and book with a more repuatbel car hire company. I would avoid this company if I was you - they are rude when you ask for more information about their insurances and extra charges. Insepct the car fully too!

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

I had a very similar experience in May 2011. The 'optional' insurance isn't - you will not get a car unless you take it out. The first car they gave me had disintegrating front tyres which I only spotted on day 3, it being dark when we picked it up. The roadside assistance refused to come out or supply a replacement and told me to drive this dangerous and illegal car some 60km back to the airport. I had no option. Goldcar gave me a 'free' upgrade as recompense but then had the audacity to charge me for the extra fuel the second car took (without pointing it out at the time). I am pursuing them direct and through Auto Europe who booked them but it sounds as though I won't be getting too far judging by the other comments. DO NOT TOUCH GOLDCAR WITH A BARGEPOLE - YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!! It was our worst experience in 10 years of hiring cars throughout Europe and the States

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

The news of the world have reported on these car hire firms pointing out the scams they all use. I read there article on Sunday just as I was about to land at alicante. 50minutes later gold car scammed me for the time of 78euros for fuel I was never going to use. I worked out the true cost to fill that particular cars tank was 54euros. But the main issue was that I only had a three day hire and ended up returning with 3/4of the tank still full which they will have sold to next poor sole. I made my feelings known but they just did not care

Well they soon will care when they realise it needs a new clutch new brakes and a new engine very soon. It was hard work driving all the to benidorm in third gear redlining it but very satisfactory

I generally always check the fuel policy but as this was I rush booking I just booked through jet2 and trusted they would not allow this sort of scam to go on in their name.

Oh and also sorry goldcar for all those scratches on the other cars parked in the car park but they were parked very close to each other so my bag zip must have caught quite a few of them

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

Many warnings have gone out about Goldcar over the couple of years they've been in existance but few have listened. I've used www.topcarautoreisen.com for years without any hitch or rip off scams at all. On the one and only occassion that I broke down in one of their cars I had immediate attention with an upgraded replacement car within an hour or so, "topcar" top rental company.

They're one of the oldest companies operating out from the airport so that speaks for itself !!!!!!!

Edited: 25 June 2011, 07:24
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

i would never use goldcar again charged me for a full tank i only drove into beni and back no credit for the fuel unused,but with centauro there policy says no refuned for fuel but they always refund you,and now after using them lots of times i have had enough point to have had 2 free hires off them i rate this company10/10 for servise and the cars and when you become a gold club member you get a free upgrade, i booked a small car and got a brand new citron c5 brill.

Clacton-on-Sea...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

we had difficulties with "Teide Golf" car hire on Gran Canaria in April. we paid 300 Euro online, then were told that unfortunately the car was not available after all and that we would get the money refunded. we are still waiting after longwinded stories of having gone bankrupt. I have found other entries on the web about them conning people out of money . so beware!

Silke

Bracknell, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold Car Car Hire

I used to use Record in Gran Canaria, but they no longer seem to be operating there. If you use Record website to book you may find you are automatically switched to AutoEurope as agents who then book Gold Car!

Having managed to cancel all that, I then used Top Car Autoreisen. No insurance scams, no petrol scams, no big queues, just a straightforward hire, so I do think they are worth a mention.

Reply to: Gold Car Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted