We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Not a fan of 'air con' restaurants , any area's available for al fresco ?

Happy New year to all.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,090 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Most have a tables on the outside or under canopy so really it should be no problem ..................

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Gloria palace has an open air terrace to the front of the restaurant. Normally used for finishing drinks after dinner but you could take your meal there

Here, there and...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

The tables on the open air terrace tend to be in demand though and you can't prebook them so you might have to go in each evening and wait for one to come free.

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Thanks to all .

ruthiebabie that is what I feared , why don't hotels take notice of 'demand'

Been in situations where tables are 'fought ' over!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

The dining room at Gloria Palace takes a bit of tolerance. We have a sense of humour and can enjoy all the goings on, and it doesn't put us from going back, but its a bit like school dinners at times

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Tolerance is our middle name! Never have a problem with the 'grand buffet scrum' you do have all evening,Last three years have been to Turkey , the Russians make the Germans look meek.

In the past have gone to hotels which boast a number of separate restaurants but I like the buffet , will go back to replenish plate if I like, or discard plate and try something new if unpleasant.

The hotel ticked a lot of boxs but al fresco dining is must.

We might well be lucky , but its a lot of money to rely on luck.

Thank you for the info

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

I have stayed at GP 5 times and want to expand a bit as the replies above give the impression that you can eat your evening meals outside.

There are tables outside but they are not set for dinner - only the inside tables are set for dinner. The tables outside are used by people who take their drinks outside after their meal to watch the sunset and have a smoke.

As al fresco dining is important to you I just want you to have the correct expectations.

Just booked GP again for 2 week in May

Ross

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

Your info is invaluable, even if it means crossing the Gloria off our list.

Having great difficulties selecting a holiday this year , fortunate not too be worried about the cost . I like Ai , flying from Luton/stanstead at 'nice' times and eating alfresco . A place to walk around in the evening is good.Country is not important , did the sight seeing years ago.

any way back to the search

Here, there and...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

OK well now you've considered taking the GP off your list I HATED the dining room there when we stayed. It had all the charm and elegance of a school canteen.

There were no pre allocated tables and at times you had to walk around plate in hand trying to find a table that had been relaid.

Saying that, we've been staying at the RIU the last couple of years and although you get a pre allocated table, they are so close together you are physically closer to the person sat to your right and left than the person sat opposite you that you are dining with!

What about the Gloria Palace Royal? Their dining area looks huge with big glass windows but again not sure it is al fresco as such. With the weather being so hot in the height of season sitting outside with no shade would not be a pleasurable experience.

The restaurants on Amadores beach are all alfresco although they do have canopies. So you could consider the GP on a B&B and then eat out.

Otherwise start looking at the big AI properties in Maspalomas/Meloneras instead if you want to stick with Gran Canaria.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 07:32
Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gloria palace Amadores Hotel

With the weather being so hot in the height of season sitting outside with no shade would not be a pleasurable experience.

Its not a 'shade' problem , we are talking evening meals and even in hotter countries ( last three years its been Turkey for us ) in July . The problem can be the humidity .

Thanks ruthiebabie , you have summed up what can be the real problems at hotels , the dining rooms. The amount of money , standard of hotel and because I eat the simpler dishes have never had problems with the actual food. Its the tables!

Back to my research