We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
fishing

hi,

off to grancanaria beg of march my hubbie is a keen fisherman are there any decent spots to fish so we know wether to pack the telescopic rod.

not talking about fishing from a boat but from the land.

thanks.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing

Which area/resort ??????

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing

Legally.....you will need a license to fish from the shore/rocks/ports (where allowed)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing

dont mind where it is we have a car

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing

Excellent fishing from the shore all around the island, from the lighter float fishing to very heavy bottom fishing. My son and I have caught huge rays including butterfly,sting,eagle,thornback, angel shark from Amadores breakwater, big Hound Sharks from the beach at Tauro. Be warned this heavy fishing is not for the faint hearted and is dangerous and bloody hard work too.

I guess with a telescopic rod light float fishing will be the order of the day when any rock or breakwater mark will produce results with the usual mullet, bream, and many other small species taking bread, prawn, or small fish strip baits, be warned that there are plenty of barracuda about that will take your small catch as you reel it in. There is an excellent tackleshop in Arguineguin called "Casa Victor" where they speak good English and are only to happy to offer advise. Carp fishing inland up in the lakes is also available, see website below. Just a note is it's totally ilegal to fish from the internal harbour walls around the various ports. As mentioned above re the fishing license it's not strictly controlled and tourists pleasure fishing are generally ignored. I think this license is aimed at the regular resident fishermen, I looked into it some years ago and it's not worth the effort to obtain for just a few fishing sessions whilst on holiday, tight lines and have fun websites here below will give you some ideas of what's down there:-

http://www.davyjonesdiving.com/

http://www.carpgrancanaria.com/

Edited: 06 February 2012, 12:04
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing

thanks that all sounds great

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing

Hoping to go to Gran Canaria middle of Feb 2013, where do you apply for a fishing license? Assume you need one to fish anywhere by yourself on the island. Just looking at a couple of weeks unwinding and fishing somewhere warm, any ideas re location would be great, off beach, river etc.

Hudds, England...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing

Hi, do you mean the area between the amadores beach club and Tauro ? Is there a best time to fish for a novice with a 10ft telescopic? I've fished all around that area using a small hook and bread , or fresh shrimp, at dawn and dusk, in Tauro, Amadores, Arguineguin, usually at Easter time and for the past four years and not caught a bean :( Fished off the rocks at depths of 2 to six feet ) we have Family in Tauro with a good BBQ but I've never delivered any catch. Any advice?

8. Re: fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 05:15