We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

If you surf the web and come up with a potentially good deal from a company called Holiday Gems - avoid it at all costs.

They will advertise prices on their website that they cannot provide holidays for! They took the full and total price of the holiday from the credit card when only a deposite was supposed to have been taken. They've consistently lied on the phone about aspects of the holiday, e.g. luggage included and it's not. £30 total return luggage fee per case and it's not. Their customer service is non-existent and they will never return calls - which are charged at a premium I might add!

Finally did some research and found out that many people have complained about this company - even our credit card company were aware of them! Found out that some Trip Advisor customers have been left stranded by them with accommodation not paid for. Tried to cancel our holiday as we are going with childred and are just not happy about this company at all and found out that even though we've tried since the beginning of the booking to cancel, they have said that we will loose our whole deposit - which we simply cannot afford!

Do yourself a big favour and avoid this company!!!!

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

Apologies for spelling - but I was seething!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

I feel very sorry for you. Having been in the business of providing holidays for thirty years I get very angry when people are ripped off.

But you say you have paid with your credit card, surely the credit card company can do something if the 'goods' don't come up to scratch.

I would certainly be interested to hear of any reasons they might give if they refused.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

As soon as Holiday gems came back and said that the original Thomson flights from Luton were not available at the price advertised and that it would cost us another £400 for those flights and did we want to choose another airport - my husband contacted our credit card company. They asked the name of the company involved, took a deep intake of breath and said they were aware of the company. The money hadn't actually been taken from our account yet and he informed us that they had earmarked the full cost of the holiday to be taken and not just the initial deposit! He said that they were unable to do anything about it at all until the money was actually taken from our account, but once this had happened 'don't worry', put in a complaint will copied of everything and we will get your money back for you.

My husband waited until the full holiday cost had been posted on his credit card, took photocopies of all the e-mails backwards and forwards to Holiday Gems and I posted the whole lot with a letter outlining everything that had happened.

2 days later we received a short letter from the credit card company saying there was nothing they could do as there wasn't any evidence provided to substantiate our complaint and that it was up to us to sort it out. Goodness knows why they hadn't bothered to read the 8 pages of evidence we provided, but they didn't.

We've also copied in Holiday Which, TV's Watchdog programme and Rip Off Britain. Rip Off Britain did contact us initially but we haven't heard much back from them.

So the consumer is dumped on again.

west midlands
Level Contributor
855 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

dont give up,keep trying,i take it the company are not with abta,or atol,,also your car insurance and home insurance will have a free legal helpline for you to ring for advice.do try this as its free,they might be able to offer some advice.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

They are ATOL protected but ATOL only deal with holiday companies going bust and getting your money back, they don't actually deal with complaints.

I will let my husband know about the insurance and see what they come up with. Thanks.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

No luck - looks like we are going to have to go on this holiday with Holiday Gems and just cross our fingers and hope that we have a hotel booked and are not stranded when we get there! That's always assuming they've paid for the flights! I shall never use that company again!!!

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

Still trying to get this dreadful holiday company to respond to Recorded Delivery letters! No luck.

Avoid them like the plague!!!

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

Sorry about all the problems you're having with this company but thank you for the warning. I found a holiday at a good price for Oct but after reading another thread on here about this company I decided against booking with them.

Hope you hear back soon or at least that your holiday all goes well.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

I'm sure you've done the right thing, a holiday is so important and all the problems we have with this terrible company - and still continue to have - have already ruined the holiday for us.

How can I possibly look forward to a lovely family holiday - as I should be doing - when the company won't even contact us with proper confirmation!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of booking holidays with Holiday Gems!!

Still no paperwork from the company!

No way am I leaving this country unless I get firm confirmation from a direct e-mail from the hotel confirming they have received payment!!!

Get answers to your questions about Gran Canaria