We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Hi All - My wife and I are considering a very last minute trip to get out of rainy London, hoping to find something pretty cheap as a last minute deal / package. Would be travelling with our 4year-old and our 2-month-old. Have only just started researching options but like the look of some deals we've seen in Costa del Sol and Grand Canaria. Any good hotels that have good value and that are family friendly? Probably not moving around too much, so really just looking for decent rooms, nice beach & pool and a couple of local dining options within walking distance. Any input would be greatly appreciated, looking to travel in the next 3 weeks. Thanks!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Hi Mike!

Well...for what it's worth...I would choose Gran Canaria! It depends though on where on the Costa Del Sol you were looking I suppose. We've been to Costa Del Sol about a dozen times over the years(friends had various villas/apartments) and certain bits of it have changed a lot...and I'm not in a hurry to go back! Years ago Fuengirola/Benalmadena/Mijas were lovely but when I went a little while back I found that whole coast a bit sad and run down...just my opinion though!. The bit up by Nerja was nicer but I still wouldn't go back. We went to Meloneras (near Maspalomas) in Gran Canaria last year and had a lovely holiday. We have visited Lanzarote and Fuerteventura before but really liked what we saw of Gran Canaria. We stayed at the Riu Club Gran Canaria (very good value all inclusive...but very international clientel...lots of Germans, Dutch). My sister had previously stayed at the Maspalomas Princess in Maspalomas (with the Tabaiba Princess all inc. next door) and she liked that. Puerto de Mogen was lovely but perhaps a bit quiet with little children. The only plus side for Costa del Sol is the beaches...if you are 'beach lovers' the beaches on Gran Canaria are not great! Have you thought about Menorca if there are any bargains there? We've been 5 years running and it's really lovely for kids! Hope this helps. Good luck!

south yorks
Level Contributor
401 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Sorry but had to respond to the comment made by previous poster (On hols 4 ever) that "The beaches on Gran Canaria are not great". They are the main reason we go here every year! The mile upon mile of soft golden sand from Playa del Ingles all the way to Maspalomas, with the wonderful sand dunes in the background, can't be beaten! Don't know what beaches you are referring to but if you haven't been to Maspalomas beach, you haven't been to Gran Canaria!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Hi Julezw!

Yes after I typed that I thought someone will probably say about Maspalomas. We have been to Maspalomas beach several times as we walked along the seafront from Meloneras. I agree it's beautiful, and don't want to put it down at all! It was just a comment to the person asking 'GC or Costa del Sol?' that I felt you couldn't really compare the two for beaches. Maybe we found the wrong ones while we were there but Maspalomas to Playa del Ingles was the only wide sweeping sandy one we found! I know that some people have been very disappointed with the dark little patches of 'beach' near their hotels. As I said given the choice (beach or no beach) I would still go to Gran Canaria above Costa del Sol anytime.......but again that's just my personal view!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

I think the Costa Del Sol has resorts to cater for everyone, I like GC but think Marbella is much better and has a much bigger choice of hotels to choose from.

GC in the winter is fine, but why double your flight time at this time of the year when the weather in the Med is perfect right now.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 23:26
London, England
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

I agree with markpool that the Mediterranean is a far better option in the summer months than the Canaries. However, I wouldn't choose marbella. I also think the CDS is very run down, although somebody did tell me the other day that Torremolinos has had a facelift. If I were to go to that area I think I would choose nerja over Marbella.

Having said that, you can't beat the beaches of the Balearic Islands and many of the hotels are very child friendly

leeds england
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Malaga 3/3.1/2 from uk.Las Palmas 4/4 1/2 from uk.you do the maths.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Witha young family I would definitely choose the shorter flight - has to be CDS.

scotland
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

I'd take the shorter flight also ... Ive been on the 4hr flights with kids that cried for 4hrs .

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Alex and etc

How do you get Malaga at 3 and a half hours.I just checked and it is 2.9 hours with Easyjet who always factor in about 15 minutes so they will have a very good early arrival record.

I would agree anyway that CDS is a better bet in the summer mainly because the temperatures will be a bit lower

Also the comment that Torremolinos is good now applies at beach level from end to end but every time I go into town another shop seems to be closing and parts are quite run down. Mostly areas tourists don't go to in the evenings but there has been a lot of investment in other parts of the CDS and for a family I think you would find it hard to beat Fuengirola these days.

If you are worried about journey time then Fuengirola is near the airport and Nerja is at least an hour more.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last min trip to Gran Canaria vs Costa del Sol?

Fair point Mazana, we have just got back from Marbella, our flight time was 2 hours 40 mins and that was to Manchester, our Canaries flights are usually around 4 hours 30 mins.